Another newbie!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

creamcheeseandlox said:
Hi all,

I'd just like to ask ur advice again, the geezer in my local pet shop said that I don't need to check my water until after I have added some fish for a few days.

Is this correct?  

And about how much would I expect to pay for the test kits (Sterling)

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you are doing fishless cycling, you need to know what's happening with your nitrite and ammonia so a test kit for each should be fine.

You need to know stuff like pH and water hardness before you add fish, in fact, before you buy fish, to ensure they are suitable. Long term, you will also need to know your nitrate levels.

So, you should buy:
1. A nitrite test kit (try Tetra because you get 50 in a pack for about £6-£7)
2. An ammonia test kit (similar price to nitrite test).
3. A general multistick test for everything (try eSHa test strips - about £11 for 25).

A good lfs will test your water for you if you bring some in to them. Write these numbers down too. Don't just let them tell you it's ok. 8)

This guy at the shop obviously has diffrent advice from us. To be honist I can't see his thinking. There's no point getting a fish then testing the water to find it's totally unsuitable. Just my thinking :what:

If you dont get test kits you'll never know how the cycle works when you setup your next tank, yes another tank, it always happens :laugh:
These test kits are a bit of money, so it's up to you. I'd still recomend getting some kits or the all-in-one esha tester. They all vary in price.

If you want to save a few punds go to http://www.aquatics-direct.co.uk they sell mail order so are cheaper than LFS. Animal house is another good place but dont have an online catalogue yet. ;)

If you would like a catalogue sent to you either as a CD or paper copy give them a ring on 0870 220 2800 (Animal House) or you can order on line by [email protected] by e-mail. I find that they are very good and helpful. Hope you don't mind the plug Davy?

I only missed out Animal house, cos by the time he gets the catalogue and orders the stuff his tank would be cycled anyway. I've bought from both and it all depends of what it is you want. Both are cheeper at diffrent things and there cost for delivery are diffrent. In the end all the products are the same it just comes down to price ;)

Hi again,

I was of the same opinion as yourselves that it makes sense to test the water before I purchase any fish it is kind of common sense. But what figures am I looking for am I hoping to get zero on ammonia, Nirtrite and Nitrate or what??

Also what are these fish like to start of with:-

Balantiocheilus melanopterus (Bala/Silver Shark)
Betta Splendens (Siamese Fighting Fish)
Synodontis contractus (Upside Down Catfish)
Microgeophagus altispinosa (Bolivian Ram)
Arius seemani (Jordan's Catfish or Colombian Shark)
Poecilia reticulata (Guppy)
Botia macracanthus (Clown Loach)
Gymnocorymbus ternetzi (Black Widow)

or Serrasalmus nattereri (Red Bellied Piranha) only joking with this one.

If you could please let me know what you think about these fish and also about the water figures.

Thanks

Okay fish.
Silver Shark It'll grow to big for tank. Many will advise against this unless you are sure your going to get a bigger tank or can rehome it. On word of warning it becomes harder to move this fish when there bigger, they dont like it and usually die. Other than that they are peaceful.

Siamese Fighting Fish, only get one though.

Up-side down Catfish coold fish I'd recomend keeping a few of them though.

Bolivian Ram Really cool, if a bit uglyer than the Ram. I've a good article on them. There a lot easyier than it's cousin and like hard water.

Colombian Shark Had them a few times but never seemed to do well.

Guppy Hate the things someone else would be better telling you about then. If you dont want fry give them a miss

Clown Loach Really cool fish, needs to be kept in a group.

Black Wiidow Good choise. A hardy fish that shoals. WOuld be a good addition.

Hope this helps

Hi and welcome. Evrything you've asked seems to have been covered adequately enough.lol
But I would recomending testing your water before you go ahead and add any fish. If the cycle is not complete and you add fish that aren't hardy, the chances are you'd be better giving your cash to me to drink for you. in otherwords the high levels of ammonia etc will cause problems with some/most of the fish. Once you get all the readings down to safe levels it's still an idea to add fish that can tolerate vairying water quality first. Remeber you still nedd to test the water quality on a regular basis.
Any thing you need to know or are just not sure about, ask away. one of us will be able to give you the info you require.
The main thing is to take your toime and not to panic if you think somethings gone wrong.Chances are we'll have everything back on track for you in no time.

Hi all,

Can someone please clarify what initial figures I am looking for in regards to testing for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite?

Also, is the siamese fightng fish ok with other species of fish.

and is there a smaller similar type of fish to the silver shark as I think they look pretty cool.

Thanks again. : 8)

You're looking to getting zero on all counts, particurarly ammo.
Siamese Fighters are not my favorites as they don't show themselves to their best when alone. Not that I'm suggesting that you have more than one in the same tank. The are peaceable though, but should be kept with fish of similar size. I've got Pengasus Cats, which look awesomely like sharks.(spelling may be out) The're a bit skittish though, but friendly towards the other occupants of the tank. They are about 4" long at the moment. I've never kept silver sharks, got scissortails??? :laugh:

Me and the missus really like silver dollars, they usually stay together, and like to swim back and forth in the middle of the tank. :)

Godd choice GL, but I think silver dollars would get to big for the size tank CCAL has.

Wish I could suggest some species for your tank, but alas my thing is cichlids...hey how bout setting up a cichlid tank?

Not to hard to keep, very colorful and a lot of fun to watch.

Just trying to convert some people to "Cichlid Heaven" ;)  ;)  ;)

Hi,

I'm not to sure about Cichlid yet (sorry cichlidmaster) saw a few pictures of them here
http://www.petsforum.com/cichlidroom/gallery/default.html
but they look at bit scary my liking :0

I read that silver dollars are the same family as the piranha if this is the case then will it not eat all the other fish?

Are any particular kind of butterfly fish easy to keep?

Thanks.

p.s. My water has now cleared and is no longer cloudy

The silver dollars are the most passive fish I have. All they want to do is swim back and forth. But the master is probably right on them getting cramped. They should have at least a 30" tank. My ghost cats are cool, they like to sit in one spot in a school, but,lol, they don't add much color to a tank. :)

Most reactions

Back