Another day....Another post

OP
Nemo2182

Nemo2182

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Any medicinal treatments out there that arent chemicals?

Colin_T

Reaction score
What's the actual problem with the fish?
If you are concerned about coloured stringy poop, the fish needs more plant matter in its diet.

The fish has slightly flared gills, which could be gill flukes. 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt per 20 litres of tank water should treat that.

The fish hiding is probably from being bullied by the other male.

OP
Nemo2182

Nemo2182

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
What's the actual problem with the fish?
If you are concerned about coloured stringy poop, the fish needs more plant matter in its diet.

The fish has slightly flared gills, which could be gill flukes. 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt per 20 litres of tank water should treat that.

The fish hiding is probably from being bullied by the other male.
So should I quarantine him? I have other things in the tank, will they be affected by the salt?

OP
Nemo2182

Nemo2182

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
And is it rock salt as in the same stuff you have in a salt mill?or special aquarium salt?

OP
Nemo2182

Nemo2182

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I'm going to go and get a quarantine tank. The fact I need to do so many things for one fish makes me think it's easier to deal with him alone. I can salt tank, starve him(sounds harsh) then bring in the peas. Another thing is the others are picking on him continuously

essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Cooking/table salt in the UK doesn't have iodate added, except for certain brands labelled as iodised, but they do contain anti caking agents. So you still need rock salt or aquarium salt.

OP
Nemo2182

Nemo2182

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So day 2 with a salt and interpet anti internal bacterial treatment and he is flying around looking much better. I haven't fed him since sat night and his poos look alot better, not long and stringy. So I thought I would do a second treatment of the interpet as required. But when shall I fed him the peas??

Attachments

OP
Nemo2182

Nemo2182

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So a week on from Uhtred going into solitary confinement, he seems happier, no more stringy poos, no more gasping and generally seems to moving a lot happier. He isn't looking as bloated, but one thing that my wife has pointed out is he looks slightly hunched. Now I read about spine problems and if they bend they can beyond help, but can anyone just have a look at these pics and tell me if I have cause for concern as he was going back in main tank tomorrow....He only seems to "bend" when not moving or when he is at the surface.

Attachments

Deanasue

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
And is it rock salt as in the same stuff you have in a salt mill?or special aquarium salt?
Aquarium salt is perfect. I don’t know why @Colin won’t add aquarium salt to his salt list. He must know someone who sells it and doesn’t like them. Lol!