Another day....Another post

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Nemo2182

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Seems since joining this Forum I've had plenty to ask....and today is no exception

So many of you guys have already spoken to me and given plenty of solid, sound advice (Thank you)

So today's topic is my Yellow Guppy Uhtred
I've had him two weeks and to be honest I've always been suspicious he wasnt in the best of health and the other guppies seem to bully him (especially my boy blue, he doesn't stop trying to nip at his underside fins) now I noticed yesterday he has started to get stringy poops. Not white like some people have already discussed all over the place, just long and thin. Sometimes they trail right back to his tail. I also noticed he started hiding in one of the caves I made, which is very unlike guppy behaviour I've come to know. As I speak Uthred has just eaten fine and is currently "hanging out" with the rest of his crew and there is no fighting going on. Obviously I'm worried he is carrying a parasite, which in turn could infect my other fish, including my bottom dwelling Corydora Habrosus. I'm terrified of putting any meds in because of both the Shrimp and Cory's, plus I have no idea what I'm treating. I will try to post a poo pic if I see it, at mo all seems well. I notice his belly is slightly more full looking than the others, but that's hard to judge because I only have one other fully grown adult (others are juveniles)
I'm ready to go to pets at home and buy a small 10 litre quarantine tank and then treat him, or could I just picked up a grandpa? I'm not convinced my local aquatics centre treat there fish brilliantly, but then fish is business to them

Any help as
20200606_184845.jpg
always would be appreciated

Could be some kind of a worm or parasites. Possibly a worm since he eats like any other fish. He does have some swelling I believe? Has he been that swollen since you got him? Any signs of pine-coning?
@Colin_T sure will know what's wrong.

Could be some kind of a worm or parasites. Possibly a worm since he eats like any other fish. He does have some swelling I believe? Has he been that swollen since you got him? Any signs of pine-coning?
@Colin_T sure will know what's wrong.
Not pineconing as such. His tummy looks slightly bloated compared to others. As we speak he is having a pinky coloured pooh which matches the flake he had about 2hrs ago

Attachments

• 15914699584618664891143407017864.jpg
    15914699584618664891143407017864.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
  • 15914704895328081504735194604005.jpg
    15914704895328081504735194604005.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
Camallanus worms are possible and could be an explanation of the bloating and normal behaviour like eating, swimming etc,.

Camallanus worms are possible and could be an explanation of the bloating and normal behaviour like eating, swimming etc,.
Soooooo best course of action?Get the tank and treat him?Really don't want want this passing to others

I've got wormy fish too and this is what @Colin_T said:

Any chance of a picture and short 30 second video of the fish?

Fish do a stringy white poop for several reasons.
1) Internal Bacterial Infections causes the fish to stop eating, swell up like a balloon, breath heavily at the surface or near a filter outlet, do stringy white poop, and die within 24-48 hours of showing these symptoms. This cannot normally be cured because massive internal organ failure has already occurred.

-----
2) Internal Protozoan Infections cause the fish to lose weight rapidly (over a week or two), fish continues to eat and swim around but not as much as normal, does stringy white poop. If not treated the fish dies a week or so after these symptoms appear. Metronidazole normally works well for this.

There is a medication (API General Cure) that contains Praziquantel and Metronidazole.

It's interesting that API and the Californian government have listed Metronidazole as a carcinogen. That's a concern considering it was widely used to treat intestinal infections in people.

Anyway, if you use this or any medication, handle with care, don't inhale the medication, and wash hands with soapy water after treating the fish or working in the tank.

-----
3) Intestinal Worms like tapeworm and threadworms cause the fish to lose weight, continue eating and swimming normally, and do a stringy white poop. Fish can do this for months and not be too badly affected. In some cases, fish with a bad worm infestation will actually gain weight and get fat and look like a pregnant guppy. This is due to the huge number of worms inside the fish.

Livebearers like guppies, mollies, swordtails & platies are regularly infected with gill flukes and intestinal worms. If the fish are still eating well, then worms is the most likely cause.

You can use Praziquantel to treat tapeworm and gill flukes. And Levamisole to treat thread/ round worms. If you can't find these medications, look for Flubendazole, which treats both lots of worms.

In the UK look for:
eSHa gdex contains praziquantel that treats tapeworm and gill flukes.
eSHa-ndx contains levamisole and treats thread/ round worms.

Remove carbon from filters before treatment and increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

You treat the fish once a week for 4 weeks. The first treatment will kill any worms in the fish. The second, third and forth treatments kill any baby worms that hatch from eggs inside the fish's digestive tract.

Treat every fish tank in the house at the same time to prevent cross contamination.
You do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean 24-48 hours after treatment. Clean the filter 24 hours after treatment too.

Do not use the 2 medications together. If you want to treat both medications in a short space of time, use Praziquantel on day one. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate on day 2 & 3. Treat the tank with Levamisole on day 4 and do a 75% water change and gravel clean on day 5, 6 & 7 and then start with Praziquantel again on day 8.

The water changes will remove most of the medication so you don't overdose the fish the next time you treat them. The gravel cleaning will suck out any worms and eggs that have been expelled by the fish. Repeating the treatment for 3-4 doses at weekly intervals will kill any worms that hatch from eggs. At the end of the treatment you will have healthier fish.

I would recommend you to use eSHa ndx and eSHa gdex and treat every tank in your house and whole tank/s to prevent cross contamination.

Mmm, are those things safe with shrimp and my snail? And can I not use Flubendazole as Colin T says that will sort all the worms?

Could be bloated as well. Fast him for a few days before treating just in case. My male guppies are little pigs and get constipated quite often

Could be bloated as well. Fast him for a few days before treating just in case. My male guppies are little pigs and get constipated quite often
Ok. I'm just worried my tank is going to get infected and I've just started to get where I want too!!:shout:

Ok. I'm just worried my tank is going to get infected and I've just started to get where I want too!!:shout:
I understand. My tank was seemingly perfect and then I introduced TB into it. Oh boy I wanted to give up on fish altogether at that time

I just checked his bum area and I cant see any worms hanging out...So hopefully not Camallanus...I'm going to give them a couple of days off food

Stupid question, but is it worth adding an Indian almond leaf?

Stupid question, but is it worth adding an Indian almond leaf?
For guppies probably not as they come from hard water with no tannins in it :)

Most reactions

Back