angels being attacted

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

angellover

Reaction score
:-( I had 2 angel fish in my tank along with a few other fish... 2 of which being 'blue moons' Im not really sure what they are but im thinking after looking at picutres that its a platy. The female blue moon was nipping at my angel and the skin of her was coming off.... I'm not sure if it was my water or if my blue moons killed my angel..... i need help! Please tell me what you think. :-(

Hi angellover,
What are you readings like ammonmia nitrites,ph,nitrates most of all how long have you had your tank set up for and how many fish are they. How big is your tank? Answer those questions and someone here will be able to help you. And welcome to the forum.

as for the readings im going tommorow to get it read.... but i have 13 fish in a 10 gallon tank. The tank is about 2 weeks old.

1 angel :/
2'blue moons' (i think theyre platies)
2 "red moon" platies
2 black mollies
1 cory cat
1 black mystery snail
and
4 zebra danios

first of all 13 fish is a 10 gallon tank is way to many and my guess is that if your tank is only been going for two weeks the ammonia and nitrites are way to high you need to take some of your fish back to the lfs.If you dont you are going to lose all of them. Your tank is cycling and it takes up to six weeks to do so the only way you could save your fish is to change out 10 or 15 percent of your water everyday with that manyfish you will need to do this 2 times a day. A fishless cycle is a much better way to cycle you are going to put your poor little fish threw hell and they will still wind up dying on you. The rule of thumb is a inch of fish per gallon of water. (PLEASE LISTEN TO ME AND TAKE YOUR FISH BACK TO THE STORE AND DO A FISHLESS CYCLE I HATE TO HEAR OF ALL YOUR 13 FISH PASSING AWAY ON YOU.)

take all of your fish back to the store except the 4 zebra danios they are a hardy fish and they might be able to with stand the cycling although I think it is much safer to do the fishless cycle myself. Do me a big favor and go to the beginner section and read a pinned topic written by alien anna and try to do what she advises to do in your situation. I hope for your little fishs sake you listen to what she has to say.

Follow the link in my sig for an article on Avoiding New Tank Syndrome.

I agree that you should take fish back to the shop - they sold you far too many fish and angelfish need a deep tank anyway (20 inches ideally). It makes me angry that Local Fish Shops do this to newbies - it's ignorant and cruel.

Anyway, there's no point my ranting. Read my article and get that tank cycled, either using fishless cycling techniques or by an awful lot of hard work trying to keep some of the fish you have alive. The fish are possibly picking on each other because they don't have enough territory (in the wild, not being able to get a territory might mean you and your young starve, so its not a trivial thing to a fish) and also fish will tend to pick on any fish that is dying (presumably that fish is using up resources and would be best out of the way, as far as they are concerned).

Another little tip: always beware trendy names. It could mean the fish are dyed which is an incredibly cruel process, or the name is being used to cover up what exactly the fish is e.g. Chinese Algae Eaters, which are aggressive, large territorial fish being sold as "Golden Sucking Loaches" so people don't know what they're buying. Always check the species with the Scientific ( "Latin" ) name and make certain you're buying what you think you're buying.

I hope you listen to anna she is the best I have read yet when it comes to cycling a new tank and all the advice that she has givin you is not wrong I hope who ever sold you these poor fish sleeps good tonite.

I wouldn't even think of keeping angels and mollies in the same tank, again. Yes, I did for a while, until I was reminded of how hyper and bossy mollies are. They think they own the tank and chase anything out of their territory. They will constantly terrorize your angels. For the sake of the angels, find them a new home.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back