Angelfish intensines out?

Navfish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have had this angelfisj for about 7 months now and recently (for about 2 weeks) I see this thing hanging out where his poop comes out. I am thinking that it is his intentions or maybe reproductive organ?

He still acts normal and eats and poops normally.

I feed them fluval bug bites and do 2 water changes (25%) each week and frequently test the water quality.

There was no recent change in water quality and have good filteration and oxygen throughout the tank.

Other inhabitants in the 37 tank include:
x3 neon tetras
x4 serpae tetras
x2 mollies
x1 Nerite snail

All of them I had for 5 or more months

Attachments

• D450742F-F73F-4EAE-844A-71FAE3B7DA3C.jpeg
    D450742F-F73F-4EAE-844A-71FAE3B7DA3C.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 48
  • D64E96E6-EB8F-4ABF-9CB9-A60C6188895C.jpeg
    D64E96E6-EB8F-4ABF-9CB9-A60C6188895C.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 50696968-7D2B-446B-B6A4-65F14E6B4EAE.jpeg
    50696968-7D2B-446B-B6A4-65F14E6B4EAE.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 4E690C68-FC84-40A7-84CD-B730CBB85EA6.jpeg
    4E690C68-FC84-40A7-84CD-B730CBB85EA6.jpeg
    244.8 KB · Views: 46
It doesnā€™t look like egg tube - Iā€™ve had angels before and the tube was clear but others can correct me if Iā€™m wrong.

Vent prolapse I use Epsom salt first you can get the required dose via the web

Has it lost any weight as certain worms will protrude out the anus.

It doesnā€™t look like egg tube - Iā€™ve had angels before and the tube was clear but others can correct me if Iā€™m wrong.

Vent prolapse I use Epsom salt first you can get the required dose via the web

Has it lost any weight as certain worms will protrude out the anus.
No I donā€™t believe the angelfish has lost weight.

Will clean water cure his ailment without using the salt?

No I donā€™t believe the angelfish has lost weight.

Will clean water cure his ailment without using the salt?
It may resolve on its own. Clean water is always a good thing but Iā€™ve only ever known salt for treatment. If it does go back in the fish maybe prone to vent prolapse in the future so it might be a thing youā€™ll see again.

As for the bug bites they shouldnā€™t be causing any issue with digestion as they are easily digested.

Other prolapses Iā€™ve seen is reproductive issues, when there is problems with the eggs being laid. This was a friends fish and the issue resolved on its own.

I
It may resolve on its own. Clean water is always a good thing but Iā€™ve only ever known salt for treatment. If it does go back in the fish maybe prone to vent prolapse in the future so it might be a thing youā€™ll see again.

As for the bug bites they shouldnā€™t be causing any issue with digestion as they are easily digested.

Other prolapses Iā€™ve seen is reproductive issues, when there is problems with the eggs being laid. This was a friends fish and the issue resolved on its own.
I found this treatment online

Use Epsom Salt

This is the most likely way to treat vent prolapse in your fish. If you have multiple fish in your aquarium, youā€™ll need to isolate the fish with hanging intestines to a separate tank.

In rounds, add 1/8 of a teaspoon of Epsom salt for every five gallons of water in your tank. Once youā€™ve done this, increase the water temperature to 78Ā°-80Ā° Fahrenheit.

Your fish will need to remain in this environment for at least a couple of hours. The Epsom salt and increased temperature will relax the swelling and hanging of the guts, causing them to go back inside of your fish eventually.

would this be okay to do?

I have one angelfish that had a prolapse on occasion. I traced it to when they got frozen bloodworms for a treat. The angel would gorge on the bloodworms and a day or two later he would develop an issue. I corrected the issue by putting the blood worms in the current flow so that they would spread around making it difficult for him to gorge on them but still allow him his treat, it also meant that the other angels got their share of the blood worms.

That said, your third picture looks a bit concerning. There are fibers? worms? coming out, never seen that before, so it might not be a prolapse.

Looks like an ovipositor/ cloaca with Camallanus thread worms.

See section 3 of the following link to treat fish for intestinal worms.

------------------

Epsom salts don't do anything to treat external infections. it can be used as a bath to help reduce fluid build up inside the fish.

Looks like an ovipositor/ cloaca with Camallanus thread worms.

See section 3 of the following link to treat fish for intestinal worms.

------------------

Epsom salts don't do anything to treat external infections. it can be used as a bath to help reduce fluid build up inside the fish.
should i put the medication in the main tank or should i isolate him?
Would prazipro work as it contained the chemical mentioned?

Treat all tanks at the same time because if one fish has worms, they generally all have worms.

Prazi Pro will treat tape/ flat worms and gill flukes but won't affect round worms like Camallanus.

Treat all tanks at the same time because if one fish has worms, they generally all have worms.

Prazi Pro will treat tape/ flat worms and gill flukes but won't affect round worms like Camallanus.
what about paracleanse? would that work? :)

i cant find an answer online.

Also, how do the worms get introduced? I've had my fish for a while, without introducing new fish so did the worms lay dormant or something?

I mean these r all the medications I have rn will any of these work

Attachments

• 448371C3-532B-4156-8776-D08A333B5A8D.jpeg
    448371C3-532B-4156-8776-D08A333B5A8D.jpeg
    225.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
If you Google search Paracleanse ingredients, it tells you what is in the product.

Paracleanse contains Praziquantel (treating tapeworm and gill flukes) and Metronidazole (antibiotic used for internal protozoan infections in fish).

-------------------

The worms get introduced to the tank inside fish. They can also get it form eating infected worms or crustaceans but it's normally an infected fish.

You don't have any medications that will treat threadworms (Camallanus).

use Levamisole to treat thread/ round worms. If you can't find these medications, look for Flubendazole, which treats both lots of worms.

Camallanus worms are round worms, so look for a med containing levamisole or flubendazole.

I use this:
It contains flubendazole and I once cleared a tankful of hydra with it. It will kill snails, shrimps and invertebrates - any flubendazole product will - whereas I see the one you're going for contains levamisole hydrochloride and claims it's safe for the little guys, so good choice! Wish I'd bought some of that, instead. I've just looked it up on UK Amazon and it's around Ā£30. Anything effective costs a fortune over here. I even had to get API General Cure sent over from the States.
Good luck with your beautiful fish!

If you ever need levamisole, look for eSHa-ndx in the UK

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back