Angelfish and compatible fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Classy

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 180 gal tank and I was wondering how many angelfish can be kept in here. Also, I was wondering what type of fish would be compatible with the angelfish. The tank has no fish in it currently.

Hi there :)

What are the dimensions of your tank, and do you know the pH and hardness of your water? Are you going to cycle the tank before you add fish?

Sorry for all the questions, but the more information we have, the better we can advise you :)

My water is pretty hard too, but I can buy softer water.

My water is pretty hard too, but I can buy softer water.

Do you know the actual number for the GH (general hardness)? You may be able to track this down from the website of your municipal water authority if you're on city water. "hard" can mean something very different to different people, but the number (and unit they use) will pin it down.

Byron.

I'm not sure if this is the right thing, but I believe it is 9.5 Grains/Gallon. ( Sorry I'm not sure if this is the right thing )

I'm not sure if this is the right thing, but I believe it is 9.5 Grains/Gallon. ( Sorry I'm not sure if this is the right thing )

Grains per gallon can be converted, with 1 gpg equal to 17.1 ppm (parts per million, a common unit in the hobby) which is roughly 1 degree GH (another common unit we use). So if it is 9.5 gpg, that would be 162 ppm, or 9 dGH. This is moderately hard. This would be OK for commercially-raised angelfish (which most of the common angelfish are). Wild caught fish would not do well in this.

The pH at 8 is hnight though, I would want that down to the low 7's.

If you post the link to the data, someone could check it for you.

I have access to r/o water if the ph is the problem.

I have access to r/o water if the ph is the problem.

That's a possibility, but with such a large tank, you would be looking at considerable RO water for water changes, even if mixed half/half. The RO would dilute the GH and KH proportionally, along with the pH, so that is all good. It is just the logistics.

I would want someone with experience with angelfish in harder water with a higher pH to comment. My foray with angelfish, spawning them, was years ago but I had very soft water with an acidic pH so it was perfect. I've luckily never had to deal with hard water as my source water.

Byron.

Do you think I could put some bolivian rams in there?

Do you think I could put some bolivian rams in there?

If they are wild caught, I would suggest a slightly lower GH/KH (and corresponding pH). Commercially raised fish might be a little less particular, but the problem with this is that such adaptations are more limited than many realize. Even several generations of tank-raised fish is not going to significantly alter their physiology, which has developed over thousands of years of natural evolution to function best in a fairly specific environment. Fish living through this or that does not mean they are thriving in good health.

Most reactions

trending

Back