Angel Fish Eggs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Nauplii

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hey i have just had angels lay eggs, and i need this tank of mine to hatch them in, problem is i have TRIOP in there, which iknow will eat the eggs, or at least the fry. So i need to know what to do.

Now i have one lone triop which is in a tank, but anyways i want to know if anyone has tried keeping them with small community fish? If so i could move it, and move them in to its tank

Heres what a triop is

http://www.fischbar.de/triops/triops_1.jpg

and are 4cm long. Live 2 months.

Any help would be great

Vixen

Could you not just keep the triop in a bucket or something? What size tank is it in now?

sorry i cant help, but can i say that your triorp looks like the darth vader of the tropical world

If it's just a plain tank, then a bucket should do instead, just for a while?

Indeed you could, but the triop if hardier than the angel fry. Also it would be easier to remove fry from a small tank than a bucket. What are going to do with all these angel fry?

I'd say remove the triop for now like jayjay said, into a bucket or something, wait for the angles to hatch, wait for them to grow a bit then seperate them and put the triop back into it's original home... that or get a seperate tank for the triop alone for the time being, or use your sick/isolation tank...

or.... ask the senate if they will take mr vader back, place the angel fry into the millienium falcon ask mr solo if he could look after them for a little while and bobs your uncle, fannys your aunt

i know this does not help but i am in a weird mood, sorry

I'd say remove the triop for now like jayjay said, into a bucket or something, wait for the angles to hatch, wait for them to grow a bit then seperate them and put the triop back into it's original home... that or get a seperate tank for the triop alone for the time being, or use your sick/isolation tank...

Hey, guys, i decided to get a massive clear cake box, which has a lid and everything to put the angel eggs in.

I made them a lil sponge filter last night which i must say im deadly proud of! :D

Emm, i have a heater in it resting on some plastic which will not melt. I left that over night and then transported them over to it a few hours ago.

At the moment i do see any signs of life in the eggs... Is this normal? or should i see some lil fry wriggling by now.

Any advice would be greatfully received thanks

Vixen

I suggest getting a small tank for the time being because community fish will eat them. So get a 5 or 10 gallon and use it as a nursery....OR get a tank divider to keep the small fish seperate from the big fish.
As for the eggs, the fertilized ones have like a yellowish color. The white ones are unfertilized so those are no good. It's normal for you to see life in the eggs. They hatch when they are ready, usually they all hatch around the same time. When they hatch they look like tiny tadpoles. They feed off of the left over yolk from the eggs so dont discard the remains after they hatch. On another note they will not live off off the remains so make sure you buy some baby brine shrimp. They sell live baby brine shrimp at the pet store. They should start to get bigger after a while and then you can start feeding them tropical flakes. Just remember to always keep them filtered. They will not survive in a container without filtered water. I hope this advice helps you. If you have any more questions just pm me. If I'm not online ask someone else with experiance or call your local pet store for advice.

PS- Don't use a net when transporting babies to a seperate tank. They will fall through. Use a very small cup (a medicine cup woks well), put the cup in the water and let them swim out on their own. Just keep that in mind.

IF THE EGGS ARE FERTILE:
Day 0: Eggs spawned in streaks, are clear or translucent.
Day 1: Some infertile eggs turn white.
Day 2: More eggs turn white, wiggling tails emerge from clear eggs. Some white eggs may get fuzzy.
Day 3: Tadpole shape forms with large yolk sack, fry remain stuck to the slate.
Day 4: Small eyes form.
Day 5: Eyes grow large, yolk sack shrinks. Start brine shrimp hatchery.
Day 6: Some fry are free swimming.
Day 7: All free swimming, time to start feeding.

You can follow these changes with a strong hand lens and strong light. If all the eggs are infertile, they will turn white and get fuzzy from fungus attack after a day or two.

You are better off hatcing your own bbs, it's much cheaper and takes about 10 minutes daily to clean out & refill the hatchery. I've tried other foods, others have tried other foods, it just doesn't work. Bbs means the difference between a 5% survival rate & a 90% survival rate. They will start to take a high quality flake at about 2-3 weeks of age, you have to crush it into a powder.

Do you plan on keeping all the fry? Angel's sell really good so you know.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back