Angel Fish Eating Problem Now Dead My Missus Will Be Gutted.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Dibbs123

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My angel fish is approx 2 inches in size. I have noticed that that whaterver flake it takes in its mouth it spits back out. Large or small it takes it in then spits it straight back out. worried its not feeding enough.

I have tried bllood worms and shrimp but still no joy. Has stopped being active and is just hiding in one cornor of the tank now.

Tank has in the last day gone into a mini cycle but Nitrite being kept below 0.25ppm

Poor fish was found dead this morning.

Does the fish look healthy? Is it swimming/behaving normal? Or is it hanging about looking lethargic? Fins clamped at all?

If not, then maybe you could try feeding it with something other than flake. Try some live foods if you can get hold of any at your LFS (e.g. brine shrimp), or frozen foods (bloodworm, daphnia, brine shrimp etc).

Athena

Does the fish look healthy? Is it swimming/behaving normal? Or is it hanging about looking lethargic? Fins clamped at all?

If not, then maybe you could try feeding it with something other than flake. Try some live foods if you can get hold of any at your LFS (e.g. brine shrimp), or frozen foods (bloodworm, daphnia, brine shrimp etc).

Athena
Only had the fish a day. it seems fine and is definatly wanting to feed but as above it spits it back out. I will try blood worms.

Thanks

Ah, yes sometimes when a fish is new to the tank it takes time for them to settle into their new surroundings and if they are not used to being fed certain things they might spit it out and sulk because it's not what they were expecting LOL.

I have a few fish who are fussy eaters (the rest are just greedy guzzlers) - pair of cichlids (pink convicts) and a male Betta - the cichlids love live or frozen foods and rush for it, but will only take the flake (very reluctantly) when they realise they are NOT getting anything else! The betta refuses to eat flake at all! Spoilt they are...

Athena

Athena
Only had the fish a day. it seems fine and is definatly wanting to feed but as above it spits it back out. I will try blood worms.

Thanks

If you've only had the angel one day it may still be aclimatising and settling down. My angel i've had 6 months isn't ever eager to feed on flakes or small pellets but rushes around the tank for blood worm.

I'd try blood worm from frozen :)

Andrew

it may just be a case of them settling in. maybe even phone the shop you got them from and ask what diet they fed them on. might get them feeding quicker

What flake are you using, is it a good quality one. The staple food for mine is Tetra prima granules, the get New life Spectrum Cichlid food, bloodworm, daphnia, brineshrimp, they even have a go at the cory's catfish pellets and the vegetable and algae wafers. The will try the veg I put in for BN's aswell.
In my experience, these are the greediest fish in my tank. I have to feed a little prima before feeding frozen foods else they pig out on them and end up constipated.

I would try to stimulate their appetite and perhaps try a different staple food. Keep an eye on them, if its not eating bloodworm, it may be an unhealthy specimen.

I had the exact same thing with my angels when i first got them, so i went out and brought some other food they did the same with that. couple of days later they were eating anything i put in haha :D Even algae wafers for my otto and loachs

Ash ;)

Thanks to all. will be getting some blood worms tonight

Not eating & hiding in the corner or back of the tank are 2 out of 3 for internal protizoans.

40mg/gallon metronidazole, separate med tank, bring the temperature up yo 88-90F. Plenty of aeration, 50% water changes daily & remed. After 3 or 4 days, sprinkle a little metro in some frozen brine shrimp, feed this once daily, for the next 7 days.

Bloodworms won't work, and may actually hinder the progress the metro accomplishes. The roughage of the brine shrimp helps clear out the digestive tract.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back