Dead fish with "burst" stomach

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Oldspartan

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Good Morning,

Last night it looked like a guppy was about to birth. So first thing this morning Linda went on a fry hunt and found three. After putting them in anursery box she yelled to me that she could not find mama. So I began searching the tank and found her on her side, dead against Upon examination the fish looked like she was actually gutted. Her belly was open in a long line just like she was a trout being prepared for the table. I wish I had a photo but Linda disposed of her before I could say anything.

Her belly was open almost from gill to anus. The tank is peaceful. or has been, and I observed for a while and saw no abnormal behaviors.

The parameters if needed are:

AMM -- 0
Nit -----0
NItrate 10
GH ---- 230 - 240
KH ---- 150

Water change was done yesterday morning 7 gallons out and 8 gallons in. Approx the same 4 days prior.

There is nothing sharp in the tank. Resin log and stump with eased edges. Artificial silk plants.

Anybody have ideas or suggestions?

Good Morning,

Last night it looked like a guppy was about to birth. So first thing this morning Linda went on a fry hunt and found three. After putting them in anursery box she yelled to me that she could not find mama. So I began searching the tank and found her on her side, dead against Upon examination the fish looked like she was actually gutted. Her belly was open in a long line just like she was a trout being prepared for the table. I wish I had a photo but Linda disposed of her before I could say anything.

Her belly was open almost from gill to anus. The tank is peaceful. or has been, and I observed for a while and saw no abnormal behaviors.

The parameters if needed are:

AMM -- 0
Nit -----0
NItrate 10
GH ---- 230 - 240
KH ---- 150

Water change was done yesterday morning 7 gallons out and 8 gallons in. Approx the same 4 days prior.

There is nothing sharp in the tank. Resin log and stump with eased edges. Artificial silk plants.

Anybody have ideas or suggestions?
I should add -- The tank contains 4 Molly, 3 (now 2) guppy, and 3 Cory. All seem fine with no apparent issues.

It's possible the damage was done after she died. It is common for fish to eat dead fish, and the belly is usually eaten first as that's a soft area.

Thank you. That makes perfect sense. Now to figure the cod. I am thinking she might have had birthing issues. Found only 3 fry.

Most reactions

Back