Angel fish died

Moe

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm so sad and frustrated. I'm treating the tank for ich. First foggy died now the angel fish. Last night I came in and all the fish were in distress. The tiger barbs and red tail shark had lost their color; even the green tiger barb was almost white. They were all hovering near the bottom. Angel fish was floating on top by the filter. He didn't even come over to greet me like he usually does. Not really knowing what to do and being that it was midnight I decided there must be something wrong with the water so I did a water change. After a two hour vigil everyone looked a little better I thought things would be OK so I went to bed. This morning when I woke up Angel fish was dead. I could cry. I swear the rest of the fish will not even look at me. I don't blame them.
I'm bringing a water sample to the fish store so they can check the water for me. Some of my fish still have ich after the recommended 3 day treatment.
I'm thinking of changing my forum name to FISHKILLER.
:no:

what size is your tank?? how often do you do water changes?? maybe your tank is over-crowded or maybe you aren't doing enough water-changes

A typical cycle for treating ich will last 15 days. The parasite isn't even free swimming after 3 days. Up the temp to 82, get a med called Ridich and follow the instructions. This should cure your problem without losing anymore fish depending on how far along the parasite is.

Hi
Everything seems to be giong better. Fish have regained their color and are acting normal. I could not find rid ich at my LFS so I am using quick cure. I also have the temp up to 82. I spoke to tech support there and they said do a 20% water change and continue the treatment. I'll try this and keep a look out for rid ich.

20 gal 7 weeks old - ammonia, ph & nitrates are finally good.
5 tiger barbs
3 guppies
1 plecos cat
1 red tail shark

I believe it is also advisable to take carbon out of your filter media, if you have any. Carbon removes the meds from the water. HTH.

Sorry to hear that Moe. Please keep us posted and tell us how things are going. I'm sure your fish don't hate you :no:

hi moe , welcome to the forum always check the medicine that you buy for ich and make sure that it can be used on scaless fish I killed one of my redtails off by using that quick cure I guess that medicine contains salt and salt will kill the scaless fish I like jungle products for ich they have it for scaless fish to that way there isnt any danger of killing them Believe me it is a hassel trying to buy the right medicine and getting your tank to cycle without killing any of your at the same time. And good luck treating your fish and I hope they get better

Hey Moe - I just wanted to let you know that I know how that feels! I was ready to quit fish keeping at one time soon after I'd started (maybe a month) due to many fish problems - mainly ich. I also had tiger barbs, sadly they all ended up dying. :( I wanted to cry too, it was so hard! I can tell you though - if you keep at it, there's a light at the end of the tunnel!! :nod: I'm getting closer, as my current fish seem to be happy and healthy and I'm trying to finish my cycle. Good luck with your tank, and I'm glad your fish are better.

Hey thanks for all your help and kind wishes. It has been 5 days without a death in the tank. Things are looking up.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back