Anemone Identification

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Donya

Crazy Crab Lady
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Hello all, was hoping to get some input from those of you who have seen various beadlet nems (Actinia species) around the UK and/or Mediterranean. I am trying to sort out this little fellow:

anemone1.png

I'm currently debating between Actinia and Bunodosoma species. Both are in Actiniidae from similar environments, mainly a region difference - but region unfortunately doesn't help me much since I have no idea where this one came from. I have read conflicting info on whether the body on Actinia species is mostly smooth or can take on a distinctly warty appearance, and, of course, all sources I have point to a large range of individual variation. However, most pictures I've seen of Actinia species show a very smooth body. The nem above is warty even when rolled up into a ball, so if that's too warty for A. equina and close relatives, then I'm guessing Bunodosoma would be more likely. So, for those of you who have seen plenty of beadlet nems in the UK, do you ever run accross warty ones like this?

tbh i havnt seen one like that in our waters before, seen many beadlets but not one like that.

Thanks Sorgan! :good: Probably Bunodosoma then.

Looking more into Bunodosoma and finally getting a clear look at the oral disk, I'm thinking it's Bunodosoma cavernata.

A somewhat better picture showing the tentacles (although it turned away just as I got the camera out, so I coudn't get the disk in view):

anemone3.png

Ah...this is why I love the salty side. Just when you think you have it all figured out, some critter throws you a curve ball when you turn on the lights in the morning:

anemone5.png

Of course, I don't know yet whether this was the hermit's idea, the nem's, or just a random event that won't be repeated again. At any rate, it wasn't an empty shell that the hermit just happened to move into, since that's been his home for months.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back