Andys Aqua-one Planted Aquarium

norclaj

Reaction score
OK Here goes.....my first go at a planted aquarium.

The tank itself is a AQUA-ONE AR980.

Dims : 98 W x 60 H x 47 D cm

Capacity : 215l

Lighting : 2 x 36" 30W, 1 x 30" 25W

Filtration : 3 x Carbon Cartridge with Filter Wool + 3 x Sponge Pad + Ceramic Noodles . 1000 L/hr

.....We bought the tank approx. 2 and half years ago and quickly set about filling it up, we put a few plants in, added the fish from our previous (smaller) tank, of which only 2 still survive (1 x cherry barb, 1 x pleco), and set the tank running. This is how it looked :

DSCF0220.jpg

DSCF0217.jpg

For our first attempt we didnt think it was to bad, and to be fair those plants grew, unfortunatley our enthusiasm didnt and we let it get out of control. The water turned a very dirty green colour and the plants just filled the tank.
Over the past 2 years, one by one the fish died, the plants rotted and tank became neglegted.

So a few months ago we decided to do something about it and having done a fair amount of research, last week end was the day we started..
I emptied some of the tank water along with a covering of gravel into our older tank along with a fluval plus 4 filter and my heater. This way i didnt think they'd be any problems with the remaining fish, which so far there hasnt been.

Spent two hours cleaning the tank today, in preperation for its new floor covering. Weve used 2 x 5.8 kilo tubs of TetraPlant CompleteSubstrate, topped with small black gravel. This is how it looked after we finished :

DSCF0502.jpg

I really wanted a large piece of bogwood as the center piece for the tank, put have found really difficulty in findig a piece that was the right shape/size. After trying all the Aquatic centers in the area i went down to pets at home and picked up a piece of mopani wood. Although maybe not ideal as ive heard it rots, it does have the shape if not the size i was after. This is it :

DSCF0499.jpg

And in proportion to the tank :

DSCF0496.jpg

I might try and get a piece which makes it look as though it extends across the bottom of the tank...just think that the right side might look bare.

NEXT STEPS :

The woods currently being soaked to get rid of all the tannis, and im guessing it'll take a few days. I need to get my plants bought, and im thinking of getting them online....YOUR EXPERIENCE AND VIEWS ON THIS WOULD BE APPRICIATED.

The tank is fairly low lighted with about 1.5 WPG, so i know plant growth might be slow, however i am planning of going with pressurized Co2. Ive 2 systems in mind (links below), but am unsure which would be best so again views on either of these would be a benifit.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CO2-Complete-System-...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HYDOR-GREEN-NRG-CO2-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Im going to let it cycle for a month or so because were going away for a week so want to leave fish until we get back.

Like i said this is our first real effort so were just going to run with it and see what happens.

Ill be adding pics and comments as we go along so hopefully you'll come back and see how we get on.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey cool. I've got some of those tall plants. I find that variety is good :).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CO2-Complete-System-...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HYDOR-GREEN-NRG-CO2-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Im going to let it cycle for a month or so because were going away for a week so want to leave fish until we get back.

Like i said this is our first real effort so were just going to run with it and see what happens.

Ill be adding pics and comments as we go along so hopefully you'll come back and see how we get on.
[/quote]

Hi there, I cannot check the webpage for the second CO2 item you posted but if it is the hydor Green Energy and not Hydor Green Energy ADvanced ( the one where the reg has two gauges) don't get it! I got this one and the small bottles are expensive and do not last long in a tank your size (although for a nano tank they are ideal). I ended up ditching it on my big tank and getting a system that takes disposable and refillable CO2, spending more money, but at least I have a planted nano with co2 now.

Looking forward to updates tho, I love looking at journals :good:

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
[/quote]

Hi there, I cannot check the webpage for the second CO2 item you posted but if it is the hydor Green Energy and not Hydor Green Energy ADvanced ( the one where the reg has two gauges) don't get it! I got this one and the small bottles are expensive and do not last long in a tank your size (although for a nano tank they are ideal). I ended up ditching it on my big tank and getting a system that takes disposable and refillable CO2, spending more money, but at least I have a planted nano with co2 now.

Looking forward to updates tho, I love looking at journals :good:
[/quote]

Not sure whats up with that link, but i think it is the one that your reffering to, and I agree that this maybe a bit small for my tank, so might opt for the other one, or any other refillable system thats available when i decide to purchase.

Cheers for the advise...

Ok, so its been 2 months since my last post, and thats because for the majority of the time nothing happend....

however ive finally got it planted and thought it was time i uploaded some pics.

DSCF0628.jpg

DSCF0632.jpg

DSCF0633.jpg

DSCF0635.jpg

DSCF0634.jpg

DSCF0637.jpg

The plants are :

ELEOCHARIS VIVIPARA (TALL HAIRGRASS)
LUDWIGIA REPENS (EXTRA RED LUDWIGIA)
LUDWIGIA NATANS (RED AND GREEN LUDWIGIA)
VALLISNERIA SPIRALIS (STRAIGHT VALLIS)
ECHINODORUS PANICULATUS (COMMON AMAZON SWORD)
ECHINODORUS PARVIFLORUS (BLACK SWORD TROPICA FORM)
CRYPTOCORYNE WENDTTII
ELEOCHARIS PARVULUS (DWARF MINI HAIR GRASS)
RICCIA

Lightings quite low, only 1.5wpg, and no C02 (Yet). Looking to add it at xmas, and then in the new year perhaps look at uping the light......Compact T5's maybe?? The standard hood has no capacity to add any extra lighting so the only way i can do it is to rip it out and start again.

Will keep some more pics in the coming weeks so people can see how its progressing.

cheers for looking.

P.S. ANY COMMENTS OR CRITISISM IS WELCOME.....

Looks nice! I especially like the cave. Did you make it with a special type of fish in mind?

Thanks. I have a 3 yr old plec which is currently in my spare tank, and the cave was for him as he likes to hide....

Great start :) should look excellent once it fills out a bit

Sam

i really like the layout, i can see where your going with it and it should look great once matured. i've never really tried grasses but have thought about including some in my new tank. i'll watch this and see how it goes. nice riccia work as well, very neat by the looks of it.

is that the water inlet on the right hand side? if so there seems to be a lot of surface agitation if the white blur i can see is splashing. CO2 is very easily driven out of solution so if you did buy your co2 kit you are driving it away faster than you are adding it due to the water disturbance. (think of shaking a coke bottle. the fizz is the co2 coming out of the water. it doesn't take much shaking to make it fizz!) can i ask what system you purchased? if you haven't got one yet you may want to consider a 2Kg co2 Fire Extinguisher, seperate regulator and diffuser. you can buy all of it on ebay for much cheaper than a branded kit and it will last 4x as long as the 500g bottle kits often supplied with branded products. Many of us use them with great sucess. if you have bought yours already i'll shut my mouth and appologise that i didn't read this thread earlier!

I'm looking forward to the next update.
James

Very nice tank. The hairgrass is nice and separated. I never liked working with it (I'm too lazy) but I like the look of it a great deal. Some of your surface agitation may be fixed if you simply fill the tank more. I see quite a large gap. Now, I can fill up my tank, but I'm not sure of your tank's make, and sometimes the extra water just won't work.

Most reactions

Back