Anacharis/Elodea Densa question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mbsqw1d

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
As this is a notoriously successful plant, hence being labelled a weed, is it possible for it to out-compete my other plants for the liquid ferts?

It is very fast growing and really does a great job at absorbing ammonia so depending on how much you have yes it may be possible. The floating plant in my 55 gallon tank is anacharis and I had a lot of it when this picture was taken, my ferns seem to do well and my swords had root tabs.

Attachments

• GEDC1296.JPG
    GEDC1296.JPG
    321 KB · Views: 164
Were the floating parts still rooted in the subtrate? I uprooted some of mine to have it as some floating foliage but I can't say that it's been a success.

Were the floating parts still rooted in the subtrate? I uprooted some of mine to have it as some floating foliage but I can't say that it's been a success.
Let’s start from the top...

It all depends on how much Anacharis you have, how many other different species of plants you have, and how much fertilizers you dose.

Anacharis can grow floating, or buried in the substrate. I find that they grow better with their ends buried in the substrate. Some people do grow them floating, but I find that they look weird if you do so.

Here is a picture of my 29g tank, with Anacharis in it:
FA77FBF8-7E91-486F-97EB-5F54B3F03E1E.jpeg

I don’t dose any fertilizers, and mine still grow like crazy. I keep my lights on for 14 hours a day (sometimes even longer) and I never have a problem with algae.

Here is a picture of my 10 tank when I was completely full of Anacharis. Still, no fertilizers:
FFAD72BF-1FF6-4C49-AB86-5E1C9812D94A.jpeg

Note: There are two different types of Anacharis. Broad leaved, and narrow leaved. I will post pictures of both later, if you want me to.

How long have you had it and is it well established in your tank? The reason for the question is that this plant tends to be less successful in tropical tanks in the UK. Its reputation as a weed is well justified, but as it is so hardy it is grown outdoors with many of the commercial growers being in the N of England.

But it does not cope well with sudden or dramatic temperature changes. My LFS always has great looking plants in store in an unheated tank. Throw it it a pond and it will thrive. Put it in a tropical tank and it is likely to melt beyond recovery.

Put it in a tropical tank and it is likely to melt beyond recovery.
This is usually because the sellers raise the plants in very cold water. When it is presented with heat, it will melt. I accidently did this to one batch of anacharis in my new 20g long. It looked melted for about a week. It is just now starting to grow new shoots.

I'd say its taking up approx 20% of my 200l and it is thriving, which may be because I'm on the lower scale of temperature, 22°C ? Ph 6-7 and 7gdh
Tank has been setup for 1 month and the anacharis has been in for about 3 weeks.
Theres also Java Fern, Anubias barteri and Vallis
I dose with TNC Complete each week, have placed TNC root tabs around and also inject co2.
I'm not too happy with the scape at the moment but will wait for the plants to establish themselves before moving things around a bit.
I've attempted a before and now pic below, the anacharis on the right.
I just wondered if it was a thing, whereby a plant such as anacharis, might 'hog' the ferts leaving the other plants without, or, with less?

IMG_20200710_224550.jpg

Looks great. TBH none of those plants are particularly demanding and there should be no need for CO2. That is used for plants that require intense lighting, and needs intense light to balance it. Java fern and anubias don't need much light and don't appreciate it. Vals and elodea will grow in most conditions. There is a danger that in time your anubias and java fern will go brown and become a home for algae, particualrly hair algae.

Consider switching to TNC lite when you run out of complete. Your fish and fish food should provide enough macro nutrients for your plants to thrive and for those plants that feed through their leaves its only the micro nutrients that need supplementing.
Edit: FWIW those anubias on the right of my signature pic are in total shade.

The sad thing is I can not even buy anacharis around here and it use to be so easy to find. I had to replace my anacharis with salvinia and tried to order more salvinia but they can not get that either.:(

Looks great. TBH none of those plants are particularly demanding and there should be no need for CO2. That is used for plants that require intense lighting, and needs intense light to balance it.

hmm I shall have to invest in some more demanding plants :hey:

Java fern and anubias don't need much light and don't appreciate it. Vals and elodea will grow in most conditions. There is a danger that in time your anubias and java fern will go brown and become a home for algae, particularly hair algae.

I'm currently figuring out what my best option is for floating plants - ideally either or both the vals and elodea will grow tall enough to begin covering the water surface however I'm too impatient for that to happen and so I'm likely going to pick up some frogbit or duckweed. :dunno:

faster growing plants will use more nutrients than slower growing plants so yes it can suck up more nutrients and limit what the other plants get.

It is very fast growing and really does a great job at absorbing ammonia so depending on how much you have yes it may be possible. The floating plant in my 55 gallon tank is anacharis and I had a lot of it when this picture was taken, my ferns seem to do well and my swords had root tabs.
Anacharis will melt us you use Seachem Flourish.

Most reactions

trending

Back