An option to reef and natural plant aquariums. Macro algae in gorgeous colors and forms...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
THIS,is what I would like to do one day. Marine algaes come in forms and colors freshwater plants don't have. What do you think?

The problem with macro algae in marine tanks is they don't tolerate sudden changes in temperature, water chemistry or salinity. Do a big water change with cold water and it dies. Don't have enough salt in the new water and it dies.

Give it lots of light and lots of fertiliser and it's good to go.

Well,dont do those things! I did try some red macro algae and some type on a rock that looked like tiny green springs. Long before high intensity lights became the standard like today- 30 years later-lol.
Look at the purple algae!

The macros are beautiful, but I have to agree with @Colin_T , they are hard to make a good environment for since the nuisance algae will make themselves at home pretty fast. On a fun note, the mangroves in the video look great!

That looks awesome!

Apparently really hard to maintain though... :sly:

Fish only salt water tanks are not that hard to maintain. You do water changes, monitor the chemistry, wipe the glass down.

Coral tanks are a little more complicated but mainly they need good light and clean water. If you have hard corals (with a stony skeleton), monitor the calcium levels in addition to other things.

Unlike the freshwater natural aquarium with thousands of articles and vids,not much is said on a marine algae aquarium. It might also need iron and potassium,who knows? Can't argue the colors and forms of marine algae aren't worth a good try.

The problem with macro algae in marine tanks is they don't tolerate sudden changes in temperature, water chemistry or salinity. Do a big water change with cold water and it dies. Don't have enough salt in the new water and it dies.

Give it lots of light and lots of fertiliser and it's good to go.

and nuisance algea likes all that as well and tends to be tougher.

grew some of the microalgeas in the sump, if they grew in the DT then the fish, crabs, snails got them

You are welcome. George Farmer was going to do a reef tank..and I told him forgetit. Time consuming and he would be a newbie at it. On the other hand he should try these macro algae. I would wonder if they too would do better on Co2?..iron for sure would help.
I might try it one day. Marine shrimp and molluscs too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back