Ammonia Sources in the USA, UK &

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I thought this used to be a pinned topic. Took me a while to find it.

I bought some "Household Ammonia" today from Boots - household cleaner and laundry aid. It was on the shelf, near various cleaning products. Hope that helps.

:good:

yeah, I got some of that last week but yet to try it out, anyone tell me aprox how many drops i need for 5 gallons as it would save time someone telling me

In the US you can purchase pure ammonia from science magazines. No lisence required. Take a peek at some on the net. I think it is illegal to get pure ammonia in the UK though. (In this concentration at least).

Popped into Boots a few days ago and they had their amonia in the household cleaning section.

Was about £1.80 or something like that, also wasnt a massive boots, just a regular branch

:hyper:

yeah, I got some of that last week but yet to try it out, anyone tell me aprox how many drops i need for 5 gallons as it would save time someone telling me

One of the links in this forum has a good section on cycling, etc. and the person recommended 4 to 5 drops per 10 gallons. I have an 11 gallon tank which I today put 5 drops into. The ammonia bottle has a convenient top that doses out drops. I can't tell you yet what effect it has had but I'm sure that if you put in 3 in your 5 gallon tank, it should be fine. Hope that helps.

Edit: More experience fish keepers please correct me if I'm wrong!!

I have yet to find the ammonia. Local grocery store doesn't have it, neither does Target. Can someone tell me where I can find ammonia in New York (the state, not city)? The other stores we have are Home Depot, Agway, Wegmans, Lowes, Kmart. Any of those places have it? I would prefer not to go to walmart.

Sorry for the double post, but just wanted to say that I found the ammonia. In the USA, if you have a Wegmans, they have it there. Big jug for only $2. :good:

I found some.
In Northwich, Cheshire (UK), there is a shop called 'The Shop With No Name' near M&S. Its 'Jeys Kleen Off Ammonia Multi-Purpose Household Cleaner'.
Its definatly the right stuff. Just had a quick whiff if the stuff. HOLY S#@* ! Its freaking strong!
Its £1.99 for a 500ml bottle.
If anybody in the UK needs any, I could post it to them. Obviously for a lil extra to cover the cost of wraping it and posting it, but I wont be making any profit on it. Just want to help out the people that are finding it difficult to get hold of the stuff.
For those that are interested, just send me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

I am going crazy trying to find this stuff.
I've tried my closest Robert Dyas and 2 Homebases with no luck. I've phoned another couple, but it's like talking to a parrot.

Anyone know a particular shop in East or Central London that sells it?
Any online suppliers in the UK?
Perhaps someone could tell me the manufacturer, brand name, bar code & where it was purchased from a recent purchase - then I can at least ask for a specific product.

Cheers
Moon

Robert Dyas no Tottenham Court Road (near Warren Street tube station, next door to Boots) do seel it. However, the one they have doesn't tell you what % solution it is. As it is sold as 'household ammonia' then it will probably be the usual 9.5%.

I eventually found mine in a non-chain chemist on Essex Road. Most smaller chemists will have the stuff. Again, it was called household ammonia, from a company called "Barretine" and the product is called "AmmoKlean".

This Barretine household ammonia is not the right stuff to use. I bought a bottle, it does not have the ingredients on it, and when it is shaken, it froths and takes about 20 seconds for the froth to dissepate. Haven't tried using it, as surely the froth indicates other cleansing agents in it?

Product: BLUE RIBBON CLEAR AMMONIA
Store: True Value, Oregon USA
Ingredients: Ammonia (AS NH3)
Picture:
1010815jr1.jpg

Most reactions

Back