Ammonia, Shrimp Diet, Pregnant?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishies1996!

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Ammonia poisoning or Shrimp diet

I have been really worried about the redness on our fish gills. I bought a bottle of API MELAFIX to try and beat any infection that may occur. I finished the recommended 7 day treatment a week ago and have since done 2 water changes of about 40-50%. We went and got some advice from our local fish shop as we have had normal ammonia levels every time I've checked. This all coincided with buying some new Pro Colour Shrimp Enhancing food from AquqCare. The fish shop said that it’s likely the food could be changing the colour around the gills and stomach as this change in colour started happening at the same time and the fish have now had this colour for about 3 weeks, it hasn’t really gotten any less red and the fish still seem normal and hungry. Has anyone else had experience with this.

I feed them a small pinch of flakes and about 4-5 of these pellets each day. They finish the flakes in about 2 mins and then move onto the pellets after. The gourami's are then only ones to not get any redness and they do also eat the food. 15 fish in total.

Pregnant Tetra

Is the Ember Tetra in the picture pregnant? Seems normal and has been eating normal. Has had this dip in stomach for just under 2 weeks. Is there any way of helping to ensure some babies are born or if its not pregnant, does anyone know whats going on.

Thank you, any advice welcome, new to this and just want to make sure I’m doing my best!

Attachments

• F73B7CA1-8B4D-4AE0-B8A8-F2803F578100.jpeg
    F73B7CA1-8B4D-4AE0-B8A8-F2803F578100.jpeg
    280.5 KB · Views: 17
  • FF314D78-B6A4-4182-9817-209E91D43EC7.jpeg
    FF314D78-B6A4-4182-9817-209E91D43EC7.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 16
  • C2CC743B-6A59-42C1-BE10-421FD32695E9.jpeg
    C2CC743B-6A59-42C1-BE10-421FD32695E9.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 18
What are the test results for nitrite?

The redness is not caused by the food. I suspect nitrite. The embers are extremely pale, they should colour up as they settle in if their health is good.

The tetra with the stomach lump is not gravid (as egg layers they cannot be pregnant), it could be food or perhaps a cyst?

What are the test results for nitrite?

The redness is not caused by the food. I suspect nitrite. The embers are extremely pale, they should colour up as they settle in if their health is good.

The tetra with the stomach lump is not gravid (as egg layers they cannot be pregnant), it could be food or perhaps a cyst?
Hello,

Nitrite and Nitrate are 0 and have been for as long as I can remember.

It may not be 'pregnant' but could it be possible the eggs have caused the bulge as this is what the majority of links on the internet have said, the fish is also larger from the top.

All the fish are rather pale, not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Nitrite and Nitrate are 0 and have been for as long as I can remember.
So my nitrite theory was wrong. Which leaves gill flukes or bacterial disease. Hopefully someone knowledgeable will help narrow it down.
It may not be 'pregnant' but could it be possible the eggs have caused the bulge as this is what the majority of links on the internet have said, the fish is also larger from the top.
My female embers have gotten rounded but have never had this shape. I have seen the shape on neons with a viral disease that caused body cysts and mouth deformities. I don't know of embers being susceptible to it though.
All the fish are rather pale, not sure what I'm doing wrong.
How long have you had them?

What has been the water change routine, prior to the two 30 and 40% ones?

There is gill inflammation to my eye. Food will redden flanks and fins, but gills, no.

If you haven't been doing weekly 30% as a matter of routine, irritation may have started. Melafix is, in my opinion and from my research, mainly to make us feel like we are doing something. It doesn't do a whole lot to help or hinder.

The ember could be egg bound, or to come back to food, overfed. The two things are usually interconnected. You could catch her and do an epsom salt bath, as a short dip. Epsom salts will sometimes allow the eggs to come out as it's a muscle relaxant. You'd have to look up the dosage used.

In the meantime though, the source of that inflammation is probably water quality, and the need is to sort out what small thing went wrong. It can usually be cleared - it's common to get pet shop fish like that and have it go away in healthy tanks.

So my nitrite theory was wrong. Which leaves gill flukes or bacterial disease. Hopefully someone knowledgeable will help narrow it down.

My female embers have gotten rounded but have never had this shape. I have seen the shape on neons with a viral disease that caused body cysts and mouth deformities. I don't know of embers being susceptible to it though.

How long have you had them?
Thank you, around 2 months...

What has been the water change routine, prior to the two 30 and 40% ones?

There is gill inflammation to my eye. Food will redden flanks and fins, but gills, no.

If you haven't been doing weekly 30% as a matter of routine, irritation may have started. Melafix is, in my opinion and from my research, mainly to make us feel like we are doing something. It doesn't do a whole lot to help or hinder.

The ember could be egg bound, or to come back to food, overfed. The two things are usually interconnected. You could catch her and do an epsom salt bath, as a short dip. Epsom salts will sometimes allow the eggs to come out as it's a muscle relaxant. You'd have to look up the dosage used.

In the meantime though, the source of that inflammation is probably water quality, and the need is to sort out what small thing went wrong. It can usually be cleared - it's common to get pet shop fish like that and have it go away in healthy tanks.
I have been doing 40-50% changes weekly apart from 2 this week to try and flush out any badness. I even rinse out the filter in emptied tank water, wipe the sides of the tank and scrub decorations in emptied tank water each week to try and keep it as clean and happy in there as possible.

Really confusing as I feel like I'm doing all I can.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back