Ammonia In Water Supply

Joined
Oct 28, 2005
Messages
2,815
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
I've recently moved into a new house (the house itself is actually quite old!) and I cannot seem to get the Ammonia levels much below 0.25ppm in each of my 3 tanks.
Confused, I tested the water from my hot water tank and i'm surprised to find that it's coming out at about 1ppm! I understand that my filters should still be able to bring this down but it means in part that performing water changes is like over-feeding the fish.
Has anyone else experienced this and what would be a possible solution? I don't fancy having the keep warming up water from the cold supply.

The test kit i'm using is pretty much brand new and I have crossed-checked this against a second test kit.

The cold water supply is coming out at 0.25ppm.

Thanks for any help
Tim
 
I agree. However, the filters don't seem to be removing it very quickly so although the fish don't seem affected how will I be able to judge when the levels are too high/dangerous?
 
I agree. However, the filters don't seem to be removing it very quickly so although the fish don't seem affected how will I be able to judge when the levels are too high/dangerous?
the filters wont remove it efficiently, as the bacteria can only accomodate for the fish waste, a good dechlor will get rid of ammonia
 
OK, thank you truckasauras!
I am currently using Interpet Fresh Start (I use the pond version as it's better value for money!!). I guess something like Prime would be better??
 
OK - thank you!
Guess I lose the value for money with that though! The pond version of Fresh Start is like a few drops for the whole tank!
Unless, is there a pond version of prime?

Thanks again.
 
Ok, cheers.
I've just looked and prime is avaliable for ponds but is quite expensive. Still, I suppose it all works out equally in the end anyway! It's just annoying because I can't get the discount at work on Seachem Prime, like I can with Interpet Fresh Start. Never mind! It's worth it's money!
 
Agree with truck, prime will be better and will effectively break down ammonia to harmless ammonium which will still show up on most test kits.

Andy
 
Have you checked that there's nothing rotting in your water tank in the loft (if your hot water source comes from there that is)?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top