Ammonia High

yes that's fine. The other stuff is basically a "filter start" product, and may not be very helpful.

prime is a recommeded water conditioner, Seachem Stability will help with bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrite Seachem recommend's using Stability after large water changes and cycling a new filter.

I just went to the fish shop and bought a poly filter which he highly recommended because he uses them in all his tanks and it doesnt affect the cycle but lowers harmful Materials

most filters use a polishing pad (poly filter) to remove the larger particles so not to clog up your sponges :) i change mine on a weekly basis

Yeah that sounds like it works well, doesn't affect cycle though?

I have just bought seachem prime is that any good?
If you were using Prime when you first got the 8ppm reading that my be the reason your fish are still alive. It converts the ammonia to a less toxic form (for a short time) and gives the bio filter more time to eat the ammonia before it starts killing your fish. It is not a cure all and you will still need large water changes to get the ammonia down until the filter bacteria gets established. Prime is the most recommended dechlorinator on this forum.

I wasn't using prime before I just bought it, my fish were losing colour and gasping at the top and now they are fully coloured and playing around at the bottom and behind plants that's good right?

It is both good and bad Lewiscouse.
If you interpret it as an excuse to avoid a water change, it is bad. If you use the Prime with a huge water change and it reduces the stress that your fish experience after a water change and it is good.
There are no absolutes when it comes to fish keeping, there are merely better and worse techniques.

Oh yeah I agree but what I'm saying is that I'm understanding the water changes now and I'm gonna keep on top of it and use prime at the same time

Oh yeah I agree but what I'm saying is that I'm understanding the water changes now and I'm gonna keep on top of it and use prime at the same time

My tests today where 0.25ppm ammonia which is better but my nitrite now jumped from zero to 0.5ppm and my nitrate was about 20ppm????
Is this ok because I did a 15L water change just in case?

You really don't want the ammonia or nitrite to go above 0.25ppm, and bearing in mind those levels will only rise before your next water change, I'd say you need to do another, at least 50%, one now.

The fact that you have nitrate being produced is a good sign for your cycle, but you still have a way to go yet.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back