Amazon River Biotope

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Man of fish

I'm Interested in.... ----|> that
Reaction score
I'm planning on getting a 125 gallon tank in the near future, that's about 500 liters give or take. Dimensions are 6 foot long by 18" wide by 22" high. I'd love to have an amazon biotope, but what fish would be good? All I really want is a group of Bolivian rams, and I'd love angels but if they don't really work that's fine. I've read a lot on the amazon so now just looking to see what all I can really do?

Angels and bolivians are a great combo. I have them together and no problems at all.

There are so many options here. Amazon River Biotopes are my favorite freshwater setups. What other South American fish interest you? How about catfish for the bottom?

Yes yes yes!!!! I've made a few possible stocking lists. Like 6 :blush: lol
1:
20 cardinal tetra
20 lemon or columbian tetra
25 cories
8 bolivians
8 angels
2 show plecs
2 algae eating plecs

2:
25 cardinal or emperor tetra
25 columbian tetra
25 cories
4 Bolivian rams
8 angels
4 plecs

3:
20 cardinals
12 lemons
14 emporers
12 columbian
24 cories
6 bolivians
8 angels
4 plecs

4:
15 cardinals
15 lemons
15 emporers
8 bolivians
25 cories
8 angels
4 plecos

15 cardinals
10 lemons
15 emporers
10 columbians
8 bolivians
24 cories
4 plecs

Whatcha all thinking?

South American set ups are amazingly beautiful, and those stocking lists sound amazing. Angels are so magnificent, and corys are just incredible in large numbers. Those along with tetra species would give the tank so much colour and movement. What about a couple of groups of apisto species for some extra colours? Why not some marbled hatchetfish for the top levels?

So something like:

6 angels
6 Bolivians
2 or 3 pairs of different apisto species
1 plec
25 corydora
25 emperor tetra or other tetra
15 marbled hatchetfish

Or something along those lines? Not sure on stocking levels for each fish, but you get the idea :)

I'm thinking Angels and Marbled Hatchets might not be the best mix. The hatchets are so small, and right at the top. Maybe Silver Hatchets would be better. They're much larger. I like all the rest.

Good point Creeker- I've never seen fully grown marbles so I hadn't realised that they're much smaller than the silvers :3

Marble hatchetfish would be fine. They have a deep body and the angels would ignore them. My only suggestion would be whatever you do leave out the columbians, they can be as nippy as serpaes.

You can get a few different colour strains of the emperor tetra too I believe? I've seen a huge shoal of 20+ in the Green Machine in Wrexham alongside Altum angels and loads of corys, and they look absolutely magnificent! Much nicer than Columbians IMO.

I agree with leaving out the Columbians. Still not totally comfortable with Marble Hatchets and Angelfish. In my experience, it might work and it might not. Depends on the temperment of the particular Angelfish. Maybe since the tank is a 6 footer, it would be ok.

I don't really like hatchets tbh. Darn that's too bad on the columbians. Wherever it says columbians then could I do lemons and then add like 2 or 4 more since lemons are a tad smaller?

Ok so I found a place to buy lemons for $1.25 each if i get 30 so they're definately in, then it's between emperors and cardinals. The cardinals are $2 a piece and the emperers $2.50 and I'd do like 20-25 of one of those. I also found cheap hatchets which I'm coming to like a bit more, so what about this here:

8 angels
4 bolivians
30 lemons
20 cardinals or emperors: which would you do?
10-15 hatchet fish
20 Julii cories
4 plecs

Ok I changed it just a tad. Whatcha think?

8 angels
4 bolivians
25 lemons
25 cardinals
10-15 hatchet fish
24 Julii cories
1 showy plec, maybe L200, but idk.
1 common plec (I need to adopt my neighbors :rolleyes: he bought one for his 10 gallon)
6 otos

Any opinions, or does this sound good?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back