Amano Shrimp

BanjoFish

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jan 7, 2026
Messages
268
Reaction score
220
Points
43
Location
Bedford UK
Today marks day six after adding twelve Amano Shrimp to the fish tank.

Second water change since too.

I use RO water and Salty Shrimp bee.

full
 
Are you sure the additive you are using is the right one? I have kept amanos for years in my tap which is about 73 ppm for TDS and 7.0 for pH. I had now heard of the Salty Shrimp product so I visited their site and then I asked Google: "is salty shrimp bee OK for amano shrimp" and the answer that came back is below.
​
SaltyShrimp Bee Shrimp Mineral GH+ is not the ideal choice for Amano shrimp. It is designed for Caridina (bee) shrimp needing low pH, zero-KH water. Amano shrimp thrive in higher pH (7.0–8.0) and need carbonates (KH) for proper molting, making Salty Shrimp Shrimp Mineral KH/GH+ a better choice.
  • Why GH+ is not ideal: Bee Shrimp GH+ raises general hardness (GH) without adding carbonate hardness (KH). While it won't instantly kill them, Amano shrimp prefer the higher KH levels found in tap water or with GH/KH+ supplements.

It further stated:

  • Why Not "Bee" GH+? Bee Mineral GH+ is meant to be used with active soil to keep KH at 0 for Crystal Bees (low pH). Using this for Amanos can result in unstable water parameters.
  • Amano Needs: They are hardy, needing a GH of 5–15 and KH of 1–10, ideally in neutral (~7.0) or slightly alkaline pH.
You can read it all here and decide if you trust what Google said: Google Salty Bee Info


In the tank where I have the most amanos I also have a ton of plants. Since my water is on the softer sides I noticed that as the plants grew and the tank became heavily planted that the plants were not doing as well as I would expect. So, I opted to start using a small amount of the SeaChem Equilibrium.

I have kept amano shrimp for almost 20 years now. They thrive in my tanks. Many years ago a fish friend was trying to spawn amanos and then raise the offspring, This requires salted water which she was using for the babies. I do not use salt in any of my tanks and had no interest in breeding amanos.

My friend came here and would take a number of the berried amanos home with her. She would return after some time with a few of the babies she had raised and some of the older shrimp as well for me. She would then take more berried shrimp from my tanks.

Early on I had gotten 100 amanos as imports, I had most of them in a 50 gal tank with no fish but many plants. This tank was my algaewash tank. I would remove algae covered anubias from my 150 and put them into the 50 to be cleaned, I would remove an equal number of plants form the 50 and put them into the 150.

It took me some time to wise up and learn that it took the amanos about 2-3 hours to clean the plants and so I just stopped doing the swapping and would put the cleaned plants back into the 150 the same day.

i-fjgvc4m.jpg
 
Are you sure the additive you are using is the right one? I have kept amanos for years in my tap which is about 73 ppm for TDS and 7.0 for pH. I had now heard of the Salty Shrimp product so I visited their site and then I asked Google: "is salty shrimp bee OK for amano shrimp" and the answer that came back is below.
​
SaltyShrimp Bee Shrimp Mineral GH+ is not the ideal choice for Amano shrimp. It is designed for Caridina (bee) shrimp needing low pH, zero-KH water. Amano shrimp thrive in higher pH (7.0–8.0) and need carbonates (KH) for proper molting, making Salty Shrimp Shrimp Mineral KH/GH+ a better choice.
  • Why GH+ is not ideal: Bee Shrimp GH+ raises general hardness (GH) without adding carbonate hardness (KH). While it won't instantly kill them, Amano shrimp prefer the higher KH levels found in tap water or with GH/KH+ supplements.

It further stated:


You can read it all here and decide if you trust what Google said: Google Salty Bee Info


In the tank where I have the most amanos I also have a ton of plants. Since my water is on the softer sides I noticed that as the plants grew and the tank became heavily planted that the plants were not doing as well as I would expect. So, I opted to start using a small amount of the SeaChem Equilibrium.

I have kept amano shrimp for almost 20 years now. They thrive in my tanks. Many years ago a fish friend was trying to spawn amanos and then raise the offspring, This requires salted water which she was using for the babies. I do not use salt in any of my tanks and had no interest in breeding amanos.

My friend came here and would take a number of the berried amanos home with her. She would return after some time with a few of the babies she had raised and some of the older shrimp as well for me. She would then take more berried shrimp from my tanks.

Early on I had gotten 100 amanos as imports, I had most of them in a 50 gal tank with no fish but many plants. This tank was my algaewash tank. I would remove algae covered anubias from my 150 and put them into the 50 to be cleaned, I would remove an equal number of plants form the 50 and put them into the 150.

It took me some time to wise up and learn that it took the amanos about 2-3 hours to clean the plants and so I just stopped doing the swapping and would put the cleaned plants back into the 150 the same day.

i-fjgvc4m.jpg
The seller also recommends Saltyshrimp bee.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top