Amano shrimp

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

sharkweek178

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I have a tank with a honey gourami, neon tetras, pygmy corydoras and assassin snails. Would amano shrimp be compatible? The only species I worry about is the honey gourami going after the adult shrimp. I know that they won't be able to breed, or at least that the baby shrimp wouldn't last long. But would adults be ok with the honey?

Another question. I haven't had shrimp before. Since there aren't any shrimp in the tank, do they need to be quarantined?

I've never quarantined shrimp, but if you have a QT tank handy it couldn't be a bad idea.
I'm probably going to get them at the same time as some pygmy corys. So I could keep them all in the same quarantine tank. I'm just wondering if it's necessary. Are there any pathogens that can be transmitted from shrimp to fish?

Last edited:
If the shrimp have come from tanks with fish then there could be pathogens in the water they come in. I doubt they have diseases in common with fish, Amano shrimp are pretty tough and adaptable.

Pygmy shrimp?

Shrimp can and do carry diseases and parasites; that being said, I've never QT'd shrimp before adding to my tanks, and have had no issues

Pygmy shrimp?

Shrimp can and do carry diseases and parasites; that being said, I've never QT'd shrimp before adding to my tanks, and have had no issues

Typo. I meant pygmy corys. I've corrected it lol.

Most reactions

Back