Amano Shrimp

nitro7

Fishaholic
Joined
Aug 16, 2008
Messages
435
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
newcastle
hi all
how do you know when they are pregnant,do they lay eggs :rolleyes:
cheers eric
 
You will see the eggs - they gather them underneath their legs. they will lay eggs whether you have males or not but obvioulsy they wont be fertilized and also they wont hatch as they need to be transferred to salt water.
 
You will see the eggs - they gather them underneath their legs. they will lay eggs whether you have males or not but obvioulsy they wont be fertilized and also they wont hatch as they need to be transferred to salt water.
though they were fresh water shrimp :hyper:
got with lots of eggs :good:
eric
 
They are, but they lay the eggs in saltwater ( or strong brackish ) where they hatch and eventually return to fresh. One of my females is always loaded with eggs. I expect the fish or the other shrimp eat them when she drops them.
 
They are, but they lay the eggs in saltwater ( or strong brackish ) where they hatch and eventually return to fresh. One of my females is always loaded with eggs. I expect the fish or the other shrimp eat them when she drops them.
so if i put the ones with eggs into a small tank (brackish)the eggs might hatch? do i need a heater in.
while we are on the subject off shrimp is there any that will hatch in fresh water
cheers eric
 
I couldn't say. I've never bred them myself ( I haven't the time )

I think Cherry shrimp breed quite well in freshwater if I'm not mistaken .
 
I couldn't say. I've never bred them myself ( I haven't the time )

I think Cherry shrimp breed quite well in freshwater if I'm not mistaken .
thanks honeythorn
thats what im after,something i can breed,plus would like some that i can put in my pond in the summer :good:
 
You could try red cherry shrimp they breed like rabbits and the fry is quite easy to raise (a few people on here do it I will start hopefully next week just need to get some of them first lol) They are suppose to tolerate lower temps and they are relatively hardy as shrimps go.
 
You could try red cherry shrimp they breed like rabbits and the fry is quite easy to raise (a few people on here do it I will start hopefully next week just need to get some of them first lol) They are suppose to tolerate lower temps and they are relatively hardy as shrimps go.

thanks saltynay'
just looking for somthing i can breed in tropic water :good:
 
Actually amano shrimp eggs hatch in freshwater :good:

However the baby shrimp don't last more than a few days unless you put them in marine/high end brackish water, but they are usually eaten by fish in freshwater before the freshwater kills them.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top