Amano shrimp vs. Red Cherry shrimp

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

endparenthesis

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Does anyone here have a lot of experience with one or both of these shrimp species? What do you think?

Which is the more versatile algae eater, or are both of them invaluable with their own specific tastes? Does one seem to eat more than the other?

Which have you found to be easier to take care of, or are they both pretty bulletproof?

Which one typically costs more in your neck of the woods?

Any breeding experience, and does one type tend to have significantly bigger broods?

Which would you pick if you could only have one?

From what I've been reading, the Amano shrimp seems to be considered the magic algae destroyer... but research online is starting to show that the Red Cherry shrimp is quickly gaining equal or better status in some people's eyes.

So, any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I cannot answer all of your questions, but I will comment on amano shrimp.

I bought two of these guys to reduce the algae in my 10 gallon planted tank. It's an open-top aquarium, which is a no-no with jumping amano shrimp. I moved them to my planted 55 gallon as soon as one jumped out of the 10 gallon! I have only seen one of the shrimp since the move! They're very small and remain hidden throughout the day. I suppose they come out at night. :dunno: They're in there....somewhere.

The purchase of cherry shrimp has been under consideration. I really wanted to keep the amanos in the ten gallon, but that just didn't work out.

i have an amano shrimp. he does a good job of swimming around eating stuff. dont know about cherry shrimps. personally i'd go cherry shrimp cuz theyre colorful, you can hardly see the amanos.

OHHHHHHHHH i got an amano didnt know his nickname ( only know his latin name ). mine is great cleaning he's growing quite well 2.

i like them redcherry ones atleast u maybe able to spot him easier in a planted tank. :wub: i want one

From what I gather, Amano shrimp and Cherry Reds eat different algae so they don't compete for the same food and both are good at it.

Shouldn't be a problem as they live off different algae and won't compete for the same food.

Most reactions

Back