Amano Shrimp laid eggs?!?!?!?!?!?

SomethingsFishy

Reaction score
I caught one of my Amano shrimp about to lay eggs, so I took her out and into a little critter keeper. She laid the gray eggs, and then I put them in a cup full of tank water.

So I've got a cup of gray Amano Shrimp eggs!!!!

What on earth do I do to raise these suckers?

Hmm.... speculation, so don't mind me if you want accurate info. :p

Warm water (75ish) with aeration. Perhaps some sort of chemical to stain the water and retard light to prevent egg fungus? Methylene blue, maybe?

Apparently these guys are very difficult to raise. You need plenty of algae in your tank, and adding large amount of java moss will help as well as they eat whatever is in the plants!

You should setup a separate species tank for them if you want to keep babies alive...

From what I've read you need to gradually increase the salinity of the water as the larvae grow up in the sea and once mature return to fresh water. Google it and you'll find plenty of info.

WK

Good luck! As Waterloo Kid stated they'll need salt in their water for the initial stages of life. I think the timeframe is around a couple of months. They're very, very difficult to raise. Don't be surprised if you're not successful.

Egg fungus huh.

Well I just took a look at the eggs, and I noticed sort of a "halo" around the bunch. Kind of like an "aura" I guess.

Is this egg fungus?

Now that I have the eggs seperate but not hatched, should I add salt? If so, how much? Any chemicals? Aeration....

How long will it take them to hatch after they're laid?

Thanks

Somethingfishy:

Here is an extract from the link I had posted earlier in this thread.

"A couple of days after copulation, the female lays the eggs, gluing them onto her abdominal swimmerets. ........... The female carries the eggs for about 5 weeks before they hatch. The color of the eggs can be used as a rough guide to when they're going to hatch, but a better estimate can be obtained by looking closely at the eggs (e.g. with a hand lens, or, as I do, via a macro photo): if you can see the eyes of the developing embryos through the eggshell, then the eggs will hatch within a few days."

In your case this does not seem to be the case and she has actually laid the eggs and not carried them. Have I got it right?

Most reactions

Back