Amano Shrimp Eggs Hanging on Plants?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tigershark7777

Reaction score
I have had 2 Amano shrimp for the last 2 weeks, and having read about their breeding behaviour believe that they have been at it (having observed one sitting at 90 degrees on top of the other). I saw several things hanging from one branch of our fake aquarium plant yesterday, and they looked like bunches of eggs. Would the shrimp cast off eggs that wouldn't hatch onto plants like that to be rid of them? I didn't get any pictures and the plant was cleaned off during a partial water change.

I've never heard of shrimp dropping their eggs before, but I see no reason why it couldn't happen. I'd worry that there might be something wrong in the tank that might have upset her?

Could you post some details of your tank, in case we can pinpoint something? Tank size, inhabitants, is it cycled, numbers from any water tests you've done would all help.

My understanding is that shrimp carry the aggs until they hatch. In the case of Amono shrimp the eggs will not hatch in fresh water. Amono eggs only hatch in brackish or salty water. However that said snails will lay eggs on solid objects and they stick. Do you have snails the tank.

No snails in there, just the 2 shrimp and 2 platy fish. It's a 24 litre tank, we've had it for nearly 4 weeks, doing daily 20% water changes and adding a liquid with bacteria in it (sorry I'm at work and can't remember the brand).

Feeding a tiny pinch of food twice a day, which is all eaten and none of the inhabitants are showing any signs of stress or flashing, etc. I don't have any numbers from our water testing kit at the moment, but when we put them all in 2 weeks ago, ammonia and nitrates were 0 and nitrites were very low. Since then, we've obviously had them go up but with the water changes and adding bacteria we've been keeping on top of them.

We don't have the test strips, we got a kit with several different solutions and test tubes (my husband is a scientist so he's great at that stuff). There is currently 1 real plant and as you can see, plenty of places for everyone to hang out, and since that photo was taken we have added 3 Moss balls. I am just curious as to whether shrimp do discard eggs that won't be viable. Not wanting to breed them, but they have other ideas

Attachments

• IMG_20170612_170142.jpg
    IMG_20170612_170142.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 303
We're thinking of getting a trumpet snail to help with any detritus, but I'm a bit worried about the tank becoming overrun with them as I've read quite a few things saying they can reproduce rapidly. Any suggestions would be great, thanks folks

That fish doesn't look like a platy to me but rather like a goldfish. Not suitable for a warm fresh water tank...

24l? Way too small to keep any fish permanently, except a single betta.

Imho: snails are always good for tank biology. And if you get overrun it means there is too much food for them.

A common misconception people have about ornamental fish that they like "open water". They don't. It stresses them out. They need hiding places and cover.

I cannot help you much with your original question, but did you see the female carry eggs at all?

That was a goldfish from before. We have 2 platy fish now. There are lots of places for them to hide as the rock is all hollowed out and has swim through holes, plus it's not right up against the back of the tank and the Moss balls tend to move around and rest up against it. I didn't see whether there were eggs on the shrimp

Attachments

• IMG_20170617_120906.jpg
    IMG_20170617_120906.jpg
    726.8 KB · Views: 200
Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the shrimp recently in profile, only from the front, so I can't look to see if there were any

24l? Way too small to keep any fish permanently, except a single betta.

As hobby5 says, the tank is too small for any fish except a betta, and that includes being too small for platies which need a tank at least 60 x 30 x 30 cm (24 x 12 x 12 inches)

We're thinking of getting a trumpet snail to help with any detritus, but I'm a bit worried about the tank becoming overrun with them as I've read quite a few things saying they can reproduce rapidly. Any suggestions would be great, thanks folks

I would get nerite snails for your tank. Like amano shrimp they only reproduce in brackish water or salt water. They will ley eggs but they will never hatch in a fresh water tank.

Great thanks, we got some Nerites yesterday, they're having a great time so far, although I'm considering getting some fly mesh for the gaps in the lid as I read an article saying that they can escape

Shrimp will drop their eggs when stressed, this can be from tank inhabitants, or tank disruptions like water changes. Sometimes shrimp will also drop any unhatched eggs when they shed their shell.
As for nerites escaping, I have some that I converted from brackish to full fresh and they have never looked at wondering off, even in open topped tanks. My sister had some nerites from the same source and put them in full salt water and they where always finding escape routes. I think the escaping depends a lot on where the snails where sourced from. Eg mine came from a tidal storm water outlet, so where pretty accustomed to going from very salty to brackish and in times of heavy rainfall full fresh. Escaping also would depend on water pararmeters and food availability. My nerites have never shown any interest in any prepared foods but keep themselves well feed eating biofilm and algae in the tank.
Since your tank is quite small and relatively only newly set up I would be worried that there would not be enough bio-food for the nerite snails and there could still be a lot of fluctuations in tank parameters regarding pH,gH and ammonia. It might pay to put a glass or something small in a dish of water out in full sun to grow algae on especially for feeding the nerites. It would need to be small enough to fit in your tank and manageable enough to easily remove once the snails have cleaned it and put it back in the sun to regrow.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back