Amano Shrimp Doing Laps Around The Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kevinthecow

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Yeah, so when I bought these two amano shrimps, they'd always stay under the bridge, hanging upside down. (one was larger than the other one)

So, Soon, they started exploring the tank and found a new spot. A rock cavern/ :) They like it under there. They never go out

A month later, the shrimps started hanging and clinging onto plants. I was really happy and excited.

Apparently, right now the larger amano is pretending to be Michael Phelps and hes running around the tank (at the top, sideways)
He/she has done around what, 100-50 laps already? Whats happeninng? o_O;

I've heard of that as a reaction to declining water quality. What's your ammonia level at? Shrimp are sensitive to amounts that most fish will barely react to.

I've heard of that as a reaction to declining water quality. What's your ammonia level at? Shrimp are sensitive to amounts that most fish will barely react to.

I dont know how to check my ammonia level. o_o;

I know nothink myself, but I've come across a few references to Amanos running laps looking for females and after waterchanges:

http://www.aqua-fish.net/show.php?h=amanoshrimp

'... Females have a six – eight weeks long cycle, when they are ready to breed they produce sex pheromones, that make change the behaviour of males in the tank: you can understand that a female is ready because males start swimming almost without control around all the tank trying to find the female. ...'

Puter's slower than I am, which is scary, lol, prob. because I haven't shut it down for a while, (similar problems to mine) so have to look for own examples if curious, but maybe Amano shrimp just like jogging?

Although around the top, sideways, sounds pretty scary - and the larger one would generally be the female...

I was wondering, though, if they were OK or not, as it's over a week later?
I also have a selfish interest, even though mine are probably some sort of similar-looking and acting shrimp rather than true Amano, in case they ever engage in such behaviour, so I'll know whether to panic or not, and others may have an interest as well.

Yeah, so when I bought these two amano shrimps, they'd always stay under the bridge, hanging upside down. (one was larger than the other one)

So, Soon, they started exploring the tank and found a new spot. A rock cavern/ :) They like it under there. They never go out

A month later, the shrimps started hanging and clinging onto plants. I was really happy and excited.

Apparently, right now the larger amano is pretending to be Michael Phelps and hes running around the tank (at the top, sideways)

I think they are um how shall i say it -- horny :blush:

My males go nuts when the females are ready to breed
they run around and around the tank and bonk anything in sight
until they find the right female ---

my kids really enjoy that time cos they love the way the shrimp "play" together
cos they are really active lol

I think they are um how shall i say it -- horny :blush:

My males go nuts when the females are ready to breed
they run around and around the tank and bonk anything in sight
until they find the right female ---

my kids really enjoy that time cos they love the way the shrimp "play" together
cos they are really active lol

Mine do that, too - were doing it again not long ago, in fact - but not around the top sideways.

Also, females tend to be the largest - with mine, the smaller ones tend to run around like maniacs whereas the biggest may simply stay on top of the driftwood or wherever, moving away from any boys trying to climb on her, or not, as the case may be.

Would like to know if that's just extra-sexy behaviour or the sign of a problem, so I'll know if whether to worry if mine ever rhumba around the surface, and I'm sure other enquiring minds would like to know, too.

As well as whether to send condolences to kevinthecow...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back