Am I overstocking?

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

dompl

Reaction score
So far I have a white opal Betta I got from Petco and 2 golden back shrimp 1 orange Sakura and 2 ghost shrimp. Iā€™d like to get 6 harlequin Rasboras or Rasboras of some kind and 5 more shrimp. Would this be okay in a 10 gallon tank?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

How long has the tank been set up for?

Has the filter cycled (developed the colonies of good bacteria needed to keep the ammonia & nitrite at 0)?

Do you know what the GH (general hardness) and pH of the water is?
You can normally find this information on your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you then take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and ask them to test it for you. Write the results down in numbers when they do the test. And ask them what the test results are in (eg; ppm, dGH or something else.

So far I have a white opal Betta I got from Petco and 2 golden back shrimp 1 orange Sakura and 2 ghost shrimp. Iā€™d like to get 6 harlequin Rasboras or Rasboras of some kind and 5 more shrimp. Would this be okay in a 10 gallon tank?

I'm only responding to the rasbora idea--not a good idea. Betta males are not community fish, and a 10g is sufficient for the Betta to have a peaceful life. Don't add any other fish, it is only asking for trouble.

As for the shrimp, I will leave that for the shrimp experts. :fish:

I have a calm male betta in 20 gallon (90L) with 5 cardinal tetras 8 rummynose tetas and 2 scissor tail rasboras and around 15 amano shrimp

It depends how calm is your betta but 10 gallon might be too small also it depends on what kind of filtration you have.
Not only betta might attack the other fish but rasboras and tetras sometimes might be fin nippers.
The smaller the tank the more likely something will go wrong.

It might be better to add corydoras as they live on the bottom of tank so betta would have the top to himself.
I wouldn't put any shrimp smaller then amanos to a betta tank but it also depends how many hiding spots will they have.
Once I added cherry shrimp to my betta he swallowed one whole so that was the most expensive meal of his lifetime.

AqAdvisor has a nice stocking calculator but the site isnt always working if its not working on laptop it might work on a phone. So your stocking would be pushing it to the max.

I would get a lot of hiding spaces for the fish - live or artificial plants.
And I recommend getting a canister filter if you have enough room for it as its great for cleaning the water.

Shrimp especially the small ones do not change the stocking much as they dont take up much space and do clean the tank a bit so as long as you dont mind them being eaten if they dont have where to hide they youd be fine.

Most reactions

Back