Am I Overstocking?

reeeedfish

Fish Crazy
Joined
Aug 23, 2009
Messages
298
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Okay, so here goes: I have a 20 gallon high, 24X 12X 26in, and I have 3 bleeding heart tetras, 1 african butterfly fish, 1 bristlenose pleco, 1 rhino pleco, and 1 ropefish. (Yes I know, I will be getting more ropefish when I upgrade. I will be upgrading to a 55 gallon in 1 or 2 months. My water is healthy and I haven't lost any fish since I learned about cycling. :) There have been zero aggression issues. :good:

One more question: In the 55 I am planning on getting 3 or 4 rope fish, 1 rhino pleco, 1 african knife, 4 conago tetras and 2 african butterflyfish. Is that ok?
If not, tell me what to remove. Rhino pleco stays no matter what.

Please answer my two questions.

Thanks! :good:
 
sowait, your totalstocking or the 55 is 4-5 rope fish, 2 rhinos, one knife fish, 3 african butterfly, 3 bleeding hearts, and 4 congo tetras?

way way way too much!

even if the numbers were the second list, it would still be too much!

rhino pleco(s) would be ok, but youd have to get rid of the rope fish, cuz if the bottom is too crowded, then they start to fight. the knife would probably eat the tetras if it gets too big too fast.

butterflys would bother the tetras and would kill each other

you basically need to start fresh
 
Rubbish - plecs and reedfish are fine.

I'd stick with the one butterfly

Never kept congo tetras so can't help there.

Knife fish will get too big.
 
Okay,so these fish are fine: 1 butterfly fish, 1 rhino pleco, 3-4 rope fish. I don't get how african knifes are to big, their only 8 inches. :unsure: Probably no tetras.

But still: what about the original first question? Is my 20 gallon overstocked?
 
What does "source" mean? If it means can you easily obtain it, then yes. My lfs has regular weekly shipments.
 
Here is a link to African Knifefish: Link

Here is what they say about size: In aquariums, you rarely see specimens larger than eight inches. They grow 50% larger in the wild where they get more room (and food).

And could I keep banjo cats in the 55?
 
If you can get them then that's good - never seen one near here, 8-12" should be ok then.

I'd say your current tank was a bit bottom heavy but if you have a good cleaning regime and don't add anything else yet you'll be ok with it.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top