Am I Hearing This Right

JohnRossDele

Fish Herder
Joined
Mar 23, 2009
Messages
1,085
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Co.Down Ireland
hi all, while is was browsing the fish section at my lps i saw that theyre were parrot fish they normally dont really have them in so i just asked him the requirements for the fish to see if they would be ok in my friends tank, so i asked him and he said that it might be ok in a 300 litre and that do not breed these as they are thinking that having hybrid fish is going to be a bad thing because they are thinking of killing the remaining numbers because as fish law goes fish should not be cross bred

i hope i made this a bit clear and understandable lol
thanks
 
There going to wipe out parrots?

I'm not sure about hybrids but i kind of like parrots, and if it happens naturally e.g. livebearers will crossbreed readily with similar sized livebearers then it can't be that bad can it.
 
Nothing wrong with hybrids IMO. Some of the fancy swords I see here, look alot like they have been crossed with platies at some point. I don't find blood parrots all that appealing, but there is no real issue with them as long as they are not died or tattooed.

I like the look of flowerhorns, though I dislike most cichlids, Heres one I saw at a show.
IMG_9099.jpg
 
Hmm. I am pretty sure that the guy doesn't know what he is talking about. First, it is impossible to breed them. They are a hybrid fish, there eggs will never hatch as they are sterile. Second, Parrots are very common. How are they going to kill off all the parrots? It would be impossible. I could see them trying to ban parrots from being sold at stores, or even raised in fish farms, but I am pretty sure we would have heard news of it.
 
IMO flowerhorns and parrots should have never been created
I agree 100%
However considering I have never heard of a parrot x parrot cross they pose no real threat (infertile) with hybridising with other fish, although I have heard of male convicts succeeding, also they would find it very hard to survive in the wild.Flowerhorns, I'm not so keyed up on, however I like them...The ones with the huge nuchal humps however disgust me, and I feel sorry for the fish.
Having kept 3 parrot fish, they live fine, with no problems, there mouths can move, and in some close (I have 2 which can close there mouths), they're great-friendly and interesting to watch, and they have an intelligence which many other fish seem to lack.
If they keep fish from being WC, I think they're a good thing tbh.
 
QUOTE (truckasauras123 @ Aug 27 2009, 11:26 PM)
IMO flowerhorns and parrots should have never been created

I agree 100%
If they keep fish from being WC, I think they're a good thing tbh.

cheesy feet, I am confused. You said that you agree that they should have never been created. But then you said they are a good thing? Please explain.

I don't support making hybrids ( I've never done it on purpose ). But, once they are born, I see no point in destorying them unless they pose a viable threat to the local ecosystem.
 
Why do you guys not like hybrids? What's wrong with it? I'm honesly asking out of lack of knowledge here.

Ok, I've read some articles on it, and I can say that I don't see a problem with hybrids myself.
 
I am a noob to the fish world... so this might be a stupid question.

But how are flowerhorns made? And what is wrong with the large bump on it's head? Is that a deformity?

Also, what are parrot fish? What is wrong with them?

Just asking some noobie questions.
 
Why do you guys not like hybrids? What's wrong with it? I'm honesly asking out of lack of knowledge here.

Ok, I've read some articles on it, and I can say that I don't see a problem with hybrids myself.
me 2 thats why im worried incease they are whipped out
 
The only reason that the government would ban a 'hybrid' is if it was fertile and/or a threat to local ecosystems.

Most hybrids (that are naturally occuring) will result in sterile offspring.

I have nothing against 'sterile' hybrids that are created by natural breeding. Ie. Two fish of different species spawning together.
But I do have problems with creating hybrids in a lab.
And also people knowingly creating or allowing hybrids to be formed that will result in unhealthy fish.
 
QUOTE (truckasauras123 @ Aug 27 2009, 11:26 PM)
IMO flowerhorns and parrots should have never been created

I agree 100%
If they keep fish from being WC, I think they're a good thing tbh.

cheesy feet, I am confused. You said that you agree that they should have never been created. But then you said they are a good thing? Please explain.

I don't support making hybrids ( I've never done it on purpose ). But, once they are born, I see no point in destorying them unless they pose a viable threat to the local ecosystem.
What I'm saying is there's two different sides.I think they should have never been created because of the many health problems they first had, and the flowerhorns huge nuchal humps.Considering I have never heard of a parrot fish having a swim bladder problem, or eating problem, and hearing most people react in disgust to the huge nuchal humps in flowerhorns it may be a fading thing (well at least it's not popular here)..But then again it's keeping fish from being WC...So they've become a good thing.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top