🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hello TFF people! :)

If I am not mistaken, these are the correct temperatures for said fish....

Betta Fish [betta splendens] : 78 Degrees Fahrenheit.

Zebra Danios [Danio rerio] : 65-75 Degrees Fahrenheit. (But temperatures should be kept up to 78 Degrees Fahrenheit, for breeding, right?)

I am asking because I was wondering if I could keep a Betta/ Zebra Danio community tank.

For some reason my tank that is, “10 gal.” Is not 10 gal. My LFS owner said that it was 10 gal. But I think it is more around 15-20 gal.

How can I be sure? Does someone have a good, “aquarium calculator” website?

How many Zebra Danios can be kept in a 15-20 gal. Tank?

Thank you for your time! :)

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

If you have big bits of driftwood or lots of rocks (not the gravel substrate) in the tank, remove them before you measure the height.

------------------------
Danios should be kept in cool water for most of the year and in warmer water during the breeding season.

Danios and Bettas are both surface dwellers, they hang around the surface. In a small tank there will probably be problems with the danios zipping around the Betta. Eventually one of them will probably snap.

Hmm...so do you think no betta, and then add the Zebra Danio, “group” in the 15-20 gal. Tank?

Also, do you know any “big” plants? As in plants like are super easy to grow, and that take up space (in a good way) in a tank!? :)

Do not keep Bettas and danios in the same tank unless it is 3 foot or more in length.

Big easy to grow plant is Water Sprite. I had one mother ship plant that covered the surface of a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft aquarium and it had hundreds of little plants that came off it. The plant had leaves about 1 foot out of the water and the base of the plants (where the roots started), was about 1 foot below the surface. The roots were about 18 inches long. It basically filled the entire tank. It weighed a lot too. However, most never get that big.

Amazon sword plants, some of the Hygrophilla sp. have big leaves and can be planted quite close together. Bolbitis is a nice plant but slow growing. Ambulia is a good one, it grows quickly and you can take cuttings or lay the plant down on the gravel and hold it down with small lead weights. Then the plant will grow up from the stem and you can get a wall of plant.

Bettas (male) are not community fish so they belong in their own tank where they can enjoy life. Combining them with any other fish is risky because the other fish are likely to find bullying the betta to the point of nipping fins "fun," and/or the Betta will take a real dislike to others in his space.

Danios are active swimmers, and thus never suited to an aquarium with sedate fish such as any of the anabantids, even if the Betta was not disqualified as above. And you need more space; this is a shoaling species so it needs a group, and this requires a tank no less than 36 inches (90 cm) by 12 inches (30 cm) base dimensions. More here [this is a reliable site, unlike the one linked in post #2 and 6]:
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/danio-rerio/

So I just measured my tank, and it is 34.5 x 12.5. (A very weird tank in my opinion!) o_O

Yes, height will allow us to calculate the volume too. And I assume as you are in the USA that these numbers are inches, correct? In which case you're OK for the danios. But knowing the volume will be helpful.

Yes, the measurements that I gave you, where in inch’s. :)

I will give you the height tomorrow. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back