Alpine Newt

leviethan

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi, got an alpine newt today, put him in his tank and he just sat there, so decided to put an ornament in from one of my fish tanks. i came back an hour later and i can't find him. sifted the sand a bit but didn't want to stress him out so gave up. do they normally hide under the sand? the literature i've read says they burrow into the sand. or is it likely he's escaped? any help would be appreciated.

lol nevermind, found him. he'd gone for a walk round the room. gonna have to seal the tank shut. :ninja:

Is he in a tropical tank, room temp, or what? What tankmates? Any pics?

hey, he's in a room temp tank, on his own at the mo as pet store only had one. getting a little bigger tank for the chap tomorrow, will try and get some pics up soon. just sealed him in his tank for the night, :lol:

Newts can climb the walls of their tank so no matter what tank you have make sure that he can't get out.

For information on newts go to caudata.org (link in my footer) - it has loads of newt info :)

sorry for late reply, but even thou i thought i had sealed tank, he somehow got out, have looked for ages and keeping an eye out still, but have given up hope :( but on the plus side i have just got 5 fire belly newts. they are in a 70l tank, selotape over nearly everything, lol. dimensions are 2ft lenght by a foot width. acess to land 4 plants 3 small filters, didn't know they were tropical so had to heat tank up fast before i put them in, so was a little chilly when they first went in from floating in the bags, but still in the green on the thermometer. they stayed cuddled for a bit but are now exploring and watching everything going on.

They aren't really tropical either. If I remember right they can be warmer than other newts, but at or slightly above room temp should be ideal.

oh, the woman at the store i got him from said to keep him at 27oc just higher than regular tropical fish. Thought it was odd. But set tank so thermometer reads around 24oc. They seem happy. Very tame adjusted heater slightly earlier and none of them budged out the way just got in the way and watched. Funny little guys. Also the woman said i could handle them every now and then, is that true? I.m sure i read else where they weren't keen

okey day, 24c it is. They seemed okay, at 26c and then at 20c but will quick with middle temp. They do not climb the glass, fire bellies rock. :)

They can climb the glass, so the tank needs to be escape proof.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back