Algae

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ketchem

Reaction score
how can I get rid of this pretty thick green algae which is on this moss and some on the plant next to it. (15 gal fluval that has cycled but no livestock in it yet)

Attachments

• A746ABCE-2DAC-4A4F-8C74-E38C9AEAFEA6.jpeg
    A746ABCE-2DAC-4A4F-8C74-E38C9AEAFEA6.jpeg
    363 KB · Views: 50
how can I get rid of this pretty thick green algae which is on this moss and some on the plant next to it. (15 gal fluval that has cycled but no livestock in it yet)
this is called CyanoBacteria
You can get rid of it by balancing the nutrients and other parameters in your tank.
can you post water testing results?

thank you for responding.
I did a waterchange yesterday , today is :
ph 7.6
ammo 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 5.0 ppm

To avoid spending a fortune on test kits (not the ammonia kit you have now), attack.

Lights off. Towel over the tank, total darkness for 3 days, then peek. If not 100% non visible, up to a week. Your plants will survive.

It isn't algae, but a bacteria that needs light.

To avoid spending a fortune on test kits (not the ammonia kit you have now), attack.

Lights off. Towel over the tank, total darkness for 3 days, then peek. If not 100% non visible, up to a week. Your plants will survive.

It isn't algae, but a bacteria that needs light.

you said the other plants will survive that? I ll try your suggestion. Thank you

Light is a factor, but so is organics, and cyanobacteria cannot exist without both. Not everyone has success with the dark tank method, because the organics are still there. I got rid of this twice in the same tank by doing serious substrate cleaning during the water change, reducing organics, and removing as much of the cyano at each W/C as I could. Try loosening it with your fingers, it will sink and be easily vacuumed out. I did not reduce lighting at all.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back