Algae problems, shrimp or snail or Cory catfish?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

L0uise_0liver

Reaction score
I have a 56 litre tank. Within my tank I have
3 Electric Blue Rams,2 zebra danios, and 4 Serpae Tetras and one sparkling gourami.

My tank has never had an over growth of algae it’s more on the hides and decorative pieces. They get a weird brown algae as well as my anubias barteri angustifolia. I have a Hygrophila rosae australis however it got the brown stuff on it I cut it back and now isn’t growing well at all even with CO2 and fertiliser that I use once a week. I also have a alternanthera reineckii red dennerle which is situated at the back and growing extremely well. And then two anubias barteri angustifolia which are again growing extremely well.

I was thinking of adding some shrimp or some snails. Possibly both. Maybe a Cory catfish. I have attached a photo of what the algae looks like after a week of not being cleaned. I know sometimes rams can be a bit tricky with small invertebrates. Any advice would be great.

I also plan to add more plants to the left side where my plant isnt really growing. Most likely to be a Tropica Limnophila sessiliflora. As I know it’s a fast growing plant and will take up quite a lot of nutrients and could possibly stop the algae.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 89
I would add 6-8 more danios and 4-6 more serape tetras so they have a group of their own kind.

Watch the rams because 2 is company and 3s a crowd. When two of them pair off, remove the remaining fish.

You need a picture on the back of the tank to make the fish feel more secure.

You can add some shrimp or snails but I would not add catfish. Corydoras need to be in groups of at least 6 (preferably 10) and there is not enough room in the tank for them.

How old is your tank? I like what you are doing with your aquascape and agree that more plants never hurt :)

the tank is a year old. Im think of adding some floating plants as well for the top surface however I think it will stop the light for the plants below?

It will definitely block some of the light but that's not always a bad thing. Some of the modern LED lights are bright enough to support both floating plants as well as lower level plants, but that depends on your particular light.

It will definitely block some of the light but that's not always a bad thing. Some of the modern LED lights are bright enough to support both floating plants as well as lower level plants, but that depends on your particular light.
If I got one of those floating circles so some light can still peep through at that point. The light goes over the whole lid of the tank it’s pretty bright and obviously in a white room that reflects a lot of natural light into there too

Also would like to add, corydoras are not algae eating fish so wouldn't help your algae situation :)

My tank has never had an over growth of algae it’s more on the hides and decorative pieces. They get a weird brown algae as well as my anubias barteri angustifolia. I have a Hygrophila rosae australis however it got the brown stuff on it I cut it back and now isn’t growing well at all even with CO2 and fertiliser that I use once a week.
What fertilizer are you using and how much water do you change per week? Also what is your water GH level. If your plants are not growing you likely have a nutrient deficiency or some sort. Many assume a fertilizer has all the nutrients plants need. They don't. they often assume your tap water will provide some nutrients But if your water doesn't have the needed nutrient your fertilizer doesn't have the plant will not grow and could eventually die. I do a 50% water change ones a week A leaf that turns yellow is also an indication of a nutrient deficiency.

In one photo your plant hasis brown on the leaf veins Algae typically doesn't grow on a specific part of a plant. It will grow on place were the plant tissue is dying. Also if the brown spot doesn't rub it isn't algae, It is dead plant tissue.

floating plants wouldn't help since they would also be affected by the nutrient deficiency. Other than light, CO2, And water there are 14 nutrients plants need. If only one is missing your plant will not grow.

if you wanted to add shrimp with the rams in there you'll need to provide a lot more cover for the shrimp to hide than what you have now.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back