algae problem

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sarahp

Reaction score
i have a 55 gallon pond and have plants and fish. It is fairly new (5 weeks). We have a bio filter and waterfall running into it. We have a problem with algae and discoloured water. We bought some "interpret green away" and have been using this for 2 weeks but the problem is getting worse. What is the best thing to do? Should we empty the pond and clean it out? then what shall we use? Any help most appreciated.

sarahp, your problem is a very common one, especially in newly set up ponds. The biofilter has not had time to mature any beneficial bacteria, in ponds it can take a few months depending on the weather. There are two things you might try. You don't tell me what type of algae you have, nevertheless try some specially prepared barley straw from outdoor aquatic centres. You tell me that your water is discoloured. Depending on the colour will depend on treatment. Green away to destroy algae will make the matter worse. The reason the water is green(if it's green) is there is a lot of algae suspension and green away will only compound the situation. Worst senerio would be that the green turns brown and pollute your pond. You need to understand the cycle of a plant,after all algae are plants, then you can eradicate it. However if you are determined that you want a quick fix, then add a seperate UV system into the pond. As the algae is passed through the UV light, it gets sterelized. however a word of warning here, you may be ridding the pond of greenwater, but the cause still exists. I hope this has been of some assistance.

What about putting in a bag of charcoal? I have read on many pond sites that using this really helps to keep the water clear and fresh. I to have a newly setup pond and put some charcoal in when I started it up. I also did see a pond with the bags of ammonia remover in them too. It might be worth a try. :D B) 8)

Lynn,
The algae covering is 100% normal. The green water is a stage that the pond will likely go through now and each time you scrub down the pond. Water changes are just gonna make it worse. Green water is just suspended algae. As Dragon mentioned, you may be able to kill the algae, but then you'll have to clean up the 'mulm' or goop left behind when the algae dies. I have been ponding for years and get green water each spring while the water lilies are striving to cover the pond. If you have at least 50% coverage of plants in your water, the sun will be less able to work with the nutrients in your water and allow algae to grow. Barley straw works great for string algae, just locate it near your waterfall so that the water flows through it. Mostly patience is the key. I bet it's harder for aquarium enthusiasts to let the pond be natural, what with all the scrubbing of our tanks :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back