Algae Problem

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CourtneyvdH

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have a 6 month old 125 gallon freshwater aquarium with two large oscars and a pleco. We seem to be dealing with an algae bloom. At first the tank was just cloudy with high nitrates. I have done multiple water changes and now have hardly any nitrates. No ammonia. I have changed the filters and added polyfilters as well. The polyfilters are brown in color. I've tried for a week now to use Pondcare brand Microbial Algae Clean and it isn't working in the slightest. Any advice from anyone as to what my next step may be? Thanks in advance.

firstly welcome Courtney 
welcomeani.gif

The main thing that jumps out is you say you have changed the filters. I'm presuming that you mean the media. By changing the media you will now be cycling your tank again from scratch. We never recommend changing filter media unless it's absolutely falling to pieces and even then we'd recommend attempting to keep most of the old media running alongside the new for a couple of weeks.

The cloudiness you mention is more than likely a bacterial bloom. This is common in new set ups and normally goes away on it's own, although water changes can help it. As you'd changed your media you're now back a the start and so I would expect to see this happening.

For future reference have a read of our beginners guide  http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/277264-beginners-resource-center/  You'll find lots of useful info there including how to deal with what you are seeing in your tank 

Hope that helps 

As you wont be growing plants in the gravel you could always cover the top of the water with floating plants, like water lettuce. They would cut down the light and make it harder for the algae to prosper.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back