Algae Outbreak

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

delboy32

Reaction score
Hi, looking for some advice. I posted recently regarding an algae outbreak & having exhauted all the options it was suggested to me to purchase a UV lamp. I've now had a UV Germicidial lamp delivered & put it in my aquarium. I noticed that the packaging warned against exposure of eyes & skin to a unsheilded lamp.

1: Have I purchased the right lamp to resolve my problem algae problem?
2: Because some radiation is emitted is this a danger to myself or the fish?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am unsure how to proceed.

Thanks

Del

Hi, looking for some advice. I posted recently regarding an algae outbreak & having exhauted all the options it was suggested to me to purchase a UV lamp. I've now had a UV Germicidial lamp delivered & put it in my aquarium. I noticed that the packaging warned against exposure of eyes & skin to a unsheilded lamp.

Thanks

Del
personally i would have just boguht some algea eating fish,

I'm sure I read somewhere that uv rays can damage the fishes sensitive tissues and reduce life span. A bit like uv rays damage our skin, but at least we have melanin to help reduce damage.

It might be an idea to find the root cause of the algae, maybe too much light in the tank

Helen

Thanks

Del
personally i would have just boguht some algea eating fish,

Thanks for your suggestions but the algae involved is caused by a bacteria that is not easily removed from the tank. Rather than use a chemical solution it was suggested I use a UV lamp.

I thought UV units for aquariums were normally installed as flow-through devices on the filter intake or output lines. The light shines only on the water with the suspended algae that flows through. The light is completely shielded from humans or fish.

You should repeat this question over in Hardware and DIY - they love stuff like this.

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back