Algae is building up on my tank walls in new 5 gallon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tacocat

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon tank with 10 animals total(3 ruby tetras, 2 guppies, 4 cherry shrimp and 1 ramshorn), which I have had for about 2 weeks now. So far, I've noticed there's been an algae buildup on the sides of the tank, and on the rocks. I'm pretty sure it's brown algae but I can't be certain. Also, did I overstock the tank?

Attachments

• FishTankAlgae.jpeg
    FishTankAlgae.jpeg
    38.2 KB · Views: 81
  • FishTankAlgae2.jpeg
    FishTankAlgae2.jpeg
    38.8 KB · Views: 76
I would say just betta and a snail, or a betta and shrimp are compatible for 5 gallons. If you're looking for a natural solution to the algae, limit your lights to less than 10hours a day, add some live plants if you can, keep the tank away from windows or direct sunlight. With limited light it should die down. you* can also manually clean the glass, best of luck!

Last edited:
I would say just betta and a snail, or a betta and shrimp are compatible for 5 gallons. If you're looking for a natural solution to the algae, limit your lights to less than 10hours a day, add some live plants if you can, keep the tank away from windows or direct sunlight. With limited light it should die down. Uppity can also manually clean the glass, best of luck!
Sorry, what is uppity?

A typo, I'm sure, but trying to figure out what was meant instead (?)

@PorshaF

Also, did I overstock the tank?
The cherry shrimps and ramshorn are fine; the guppies could do with a bit more room. As for the ruby tetras, it depends on exactly what they are as to whether they are suitable - though tetras always need to be in a group of 6 minimum, with more being better.

Whoops! I was on mobile for that message, it was 'you' not uppity haha did the edit on my post
Another fuplie :lol:

[A couple of years ago a member made a post about guppies but her phone autocorrected guppy to fuplie. It went down in TFF folk lore]

The cherry shrimps and ramshorn are fine; the guppies could do with a bit more room. As for the ruby tetras, it depends on exactly what they are as to whether they are suitable - though tetras always need to be in a group of 6 minimum, with more being better.
I don't see the "ruby" tetras in the pics, but if the OP meant "rosy" tetras (Hyphessobrycon rosaceus), this tank is much too small for them...and, they need to be in groups, as you mentioned

Another fuplie :lol:

[A couple of years ago a member made a post about guppies but her phone autocorrected guppy to fuplie. It went down in TFF folk lore]
"Autocorrected" to a fictional word, lol...but one that has many uses here, from what I've seen

I think you're overstocked and you should look to upgrade to a 10G or offload some of the fish. I personally don't think we should keep more than a betta in a 5G. That said, you could get a nerite snail. They do a pretty good job of cleaning algae off the glass. Also try reducing your lighting and reducing your feeding.

Thanks! Sorry, I was wrong, I actually have 2 rubies and 1 cardinal tetra. There were originally 2 cardinals but one died during moving, as we forgot to account for the time required for the dust to settle, and the fish which were originally meant to be in a holding tank for a few hours stayed there for 2 days. Also yes, we put in a bacteria ampoule at the very beginning.

I think you're overstocked and you should look to upgrade to a 10G or offload some of the fish. I personally don't think we should keep more than a betta in a 5G. That said, you could get a nerite snail. They do a pretty good job of cleaning algae off the glass. Also try reducing your lighting and reducing your feeding.
How do I offload fish? My parents aren't particularly keen on getting another tank so soon and are upset every time I bring up the subject of giving a fish away because they paid money for it. Also, it's not a nerite, it's a ramshorn, which I have read to be prolific and not very algae efficient.

Here are the pictures of my aquarium

Attachments

• MainFishTank1.jpeg
    MainFishTank1.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 61
  • MainFishTank2.jpeg
    MainFishTank2.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 68
I think I'll move this to a different part of the forums, as it's not really algae anymore.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back