Algae In Zebra Danio Tank

unknowntbeast

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
162
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I had just changed the water 4 days ago and I noticed there was a spot of algae on a plant in the tank and I clent it off and put it back in. But after I come back home from visiting family, I notice all the plant's leafs are covered in it and on the walls! And when I asked my dad if he noticed it, he said no. So how in heck did this stuff just randomly shows up?!!? So is this bad for these kind of fish? Should I let it regrow or what?
 
It is not bad for any kind of fish. If it really bothers you, then you should get sometihing to kill the algae, if no invertrabrates are prestent, and then scrape it off with a credit card.
 
What about putting a algae eater in there? I keep the water around 78 F, too warm for an algae eater?
 
Well then thats out of the question for now. I kind of went and got me a small - ### tank and I'm trying to get me a larger tank here and I would actually try fishless cycling it.
 
A bristlenose can be kept in a 20 gallon. Algae is not bad, I does get crazy when the tank has new fish added, or it is being cycled; it is called an algae bloom.

A bristlenose can be kept in a 20 gallon. Algae is not bad, I does get crazy when the tank has new fish added, or it is being cycled; it is called an algae bloom.
 
Have you identified the algae? The most common cause of algae is overfeeding and too much light but there are certain types such as brown algae (diatoms) that are common to new tanks as the algae feeds off the silica in the sand and emitted from the silicone that seals the tank.
 
I have figured it is diatoms. And it is regrowing. I just did test and NH3 and Nitrite are fine, yet Nitrate is around 12ish ppm (it kindof hard to tell the color). So what do I need to do? Are there any algae eaters for this kind?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top