Algae identification

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

Seb2502

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have this algae growing on a few of my plants and I was wondering what it was. It is very easy to remove but it just keeps coming back. Iā€™m thinking maybe itā€™s the same algae on the glass? Iā€™m planning on getting otocinclus to help clean it up if theyā€™ll even eat it.
if anyone can tell me what it is please lmk! Thanks
E71C929A-45B5-431C-883E-1166DC7DDC96.jpeg
3073CC1E-B326-41C6-93F9-642FFFC6BDF6.jpeg

I have this algae growing on a few of my plants and I was wondering what it was. It is very easy to remove but it just keeps coming back. Iā€™m thinking maybe itā€™s the same algae on the glass? Iā€™m planning on getting otocinclus to help clean it up if theyā€™ll even eat it.
if anyone can tell me what it is please lmk! ThanksView attachment 153289View attachment 153290
No idea what type of algae it is but nerite snails are pro vacum cleaners. What are you water parameters and hardness?

Pictures are poor. If it is slimey abd comes off easily, it is called blue green algae but is actually a bacteria called cyanobacteria.

When I say comes of easily I mean you can suck it off a leaf with an airline as a siphon.

No idea what type of algae it is but nerite snails are pro vacum cleaners. What are you water parameters and hardness?
My water is hard which is very weird considering my tap water is soft
kH is very high
pH is at around 7.8

Pictures are poor. If it is slimey abd comes off easily, it is called blue green algae but is actually a bacteria called cyanobacteria.

When I say comes of easily I mean you can suck it off a leaf with an airline as a siphon.
Yea idk why the pics came out so bad. But it comes off in whole pieces and Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s slimy. Iā€™ve been taking it off with tweezers but it could probably be taken off with a siphon as well

Blue Green Algae (Cyanobacter bacteria). It's a photosynthetic bacteria that loves nutrients, low oxygen levels, red light and dirty tanks. It can also grow in clean tanks. It comes in a range of colours including green, blue, black, red, brown, pink and purple.

Reduce the dry food going into the tank.

Do big daily water changes and gravel clean the substrate. Try to suck out the Cyanobacteria.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Increase aeration and water movement, especially around the bottom half of the tank.

If you have light globes that are over 12 months old, replace them with globes that have a 6500K (K is for Kelvin) rating. If you have LEDs, increase the blue, white and green light.

Blue Green Algae (Cyanobacter bacteria). It's a photosynthetic bacteria that loves nutrients, low oxygen levels, red light and dirty tanks. It can also grow in clean tanks. It comes in a range of colours including green, blue, black, red, brown, pink and purple.

Reduce the dry food going into the tank.

Do big daily water changes and gravel clean the substrate. Try to suck out the Cyanobacteria.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Increase aeration and water movement, especially around the bottom half of the tank.

If you have light globes that are over 12 months old, replace them with globes that have a 6500K (K is for Kelvin) rating. If you have LEDs, increase the blue, white and green light.
Thereā€™s actually no food going into the tank bc itā€™s currently cycling.
Iā€™ll do some big water changes and gravel vacs. I have one large sponge filter in the tank and itā€™s a 75 gallon. Should I setup another big sponge filter? I have an extra.

It won't hurt to have 2 sponge filters in a big tank.

If it's a new tank that is cycling, then the Cyanobacteria probably came in on plants and is having fun growing in the new tank with lots of ammonia. Try to remove as much as possible each day and it should go after the tank has cycled.

It won't hurt to have 2 sponge filters in a big tank.

If it's a new tank that is cycling, then the Cyanobacteria probably came in on plants and is having fun growing in the new tank with lots of ammonia. Try to remove as much as possible each day and it should go after the tank has cycled.
Perfect thanks a lot for the help!

Most reactions

Back