What's new

Algae help!

cmhassinger

Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
So for a few months now I have been battling some algae some black and some green. It’s been on the walls and all over the drift wood and plants. It’s killing my plants and now I am worried it’s hurting my fish. I try to scrub it off and it doesn’t really remove easily from plants without hurting the plant and when I scrub it it just goes everywhere. My water is clear and I usually do weekly water changes. I have some fish and 2 shrimp so I’m not sure what safe to use. I have seen so many mixed reviews on algae treatments so I’m scared of killing my fish.

anyone have advice!

Attachments

JuiceBox52

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Dont use a chemical to remove algae. How long is your light on for? Algae is caused by a combination of light and nutrients. Try doing larger water changes and reduce your lighting by 2 hours (if it's on for 12 hours go down to 10)

Maybe add some floating plants to absorb the nutrients

Retired Viking

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Algae comes from an imbalance between your light and nutrients in the water. How long do you leave on your lights? How often do you feed your fish? How often and by how much do you do water changes?

OP
cmhassinger

cmhassinger

Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
I don’t think I leave the lights on to long maybe 12 hours max but I’ll definitely have to watch it and turn them off earlier. I feed the fish one time daily and probably change the water 65%, I thought weekly but my husband says I do it every 2 weeks ‍♀ I guess I should do it more often.

Retired Viking

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Try and do weekly water changes of around 50%, reduce the amount of food you feed your fish and reduce lighting to 8 hours a day and see if that helps. Snails will eat some types of algae so you may want to try that too. I have nerite snails.

OP
cmhassinger

cmhassinger

Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
Ok I’ll try that thank you! Should I start over with my plants? I can’t seem to get them completely clean.

seangee

Reaction score
I don’t think I leave the lights on to long maybe 12 hours max but I’ll definitely have to watch it and turn them off earlier. I feed the fish one time daily and probably change the water 65%,
My light are on between 6 & 8 hours - its different in each of my tanks. Best to have them on a timer as the fish are better with a regular cycle (just like people :)).

Retired Viking

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Like @seangee I have my lights on a timer, for my sunken forest tank my lights come on at 10am and off at 9pm then a lamp in the room stays on until 10pm to give my fish a sunset effect. So they get both a sunrise and sunset. I have T-8 plant lights in my sunken forest tank so it is not as bright as regular tank lights.

trending

Members online

Most reactions - Past 7 days