Algae Coming in Hot

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
My tank is getting killed with algae. More and more and more. I have 0 Nitrates in the tank. What should i do?!

Attachments

• IMG_8965.JPG
    IMG_8965.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 182
I asked twice but it has not been answered...does this easily wipe off surfaces with your fingertips?

There’s no magic cure, I’m afraid. Time and continuing to wipe it off everything is all you can do. I dealt with it for 2 1/2 months before it stopped. Every Friday I wiped down the glass and washed the plants/decor. I vacuumed the substrate and did 70% water change. It’s finally gone. You just have to stay on top of it. Sorry. I did read some things you can do if I can find it.

Last edited:
This may help...

From Aquariumadvisor.com...
The Best Way to Remove Brown Algae
Discussed below are some of the ideal ways to eliminate brown algae in your fish tank. Majority of these strategies aim to cut the supply of nutrient for brown algae, therefore preventing its future growth in your aquarium.

1. Remove the water in your tank
Remove about twenty percent of the water inside your tank with the use of aquarium siphon. Make sure that you shift the siphon through the gravel or substrate to eliminate the fish waste that can serve as food for the brown algae.
Make use of reverse osmosis or deionized water to change the water inside your fish tank. The two methods make use of water that doesn’t contribute supplements that promote the growth of algae since it has been filtered in a special way.

2. Introduce phosphate adsorption resin
These are chemical filter mediums in the form of pellets or filter pads that are used for eliminating phosphates and silicates from the aquarium that help to starve the brown algae more.

3. Mounting an ultraviolet sterilizer
You can install a UV sterilizer outside the aquarium to eliminate the brown algae. The rays produced by the sterilizer are just like normal sunlight and can’t harm fish or plant life but will kill bacteria and algae found in the water inside your aquarium.

4. Put an animal that enjoys eating algae
A couple of aquatic animal species are always excited at the presence of algae including the suckermouth fish or the Siamese algae eater fish.

For the saltwater fish tanks, you can put snails that eat algae, for example, the margarita snail. Such creatures work like vacuums and completely devour the algae off the aquarium walls, ornaments, and rocks.

5. Monitoring the nitrate level
You can keep the level of nitrate in your aquarium under control by including a few drops of vodka inside the water. The dosing of vodka should always be monitored because it can hurt the fish.

Keeping the level of nitrate low is one of the best methods of removing algae from your fish tank.

6. Physically getting rid of accumulated brown algae
Physically getting rid of the amassed brown algae from your aquarium is a standout amongst the best approaches to eliminate it.

You can evacuate the brown algae using either suction or your hand. The brown algae spread quickly if abandoned in the tank and will be difficult to eliminate.

7. Cleaning filters
Regular cleansing of the filter ensures consistent flow of neat water free from silicates and nitrates.

You should always replace the fish water to keep it completely clear and also clean your fish tank routinely. Clean the fish tank more frequently if you notice that the algae are becoming an issue.

Conclusion
The reality of the matter is that brown algae and its consistent growth can be an undeniable irritation, especially for aquarium owners. What you have to do is to ensure that your fish tank is clean always. So, you need to change the water tank frequently and evacuate all the key factors that contribute to the growth of algae. Also, prompt regard for the vertical development of brown algae will secure your aquarium from more serious problems.

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-19_19-6-0.png
    upload_2019-3-19_19-6-0.png
    1,012 bytes · Views: 226
    1,012 bytes · Views: 175
    1,012 bytes · Views: 173
    1,012 bytes · Views: 163
This may help...

From Aquariumadvisor.com...
The Best Way to Remove Brown Algae
Discussed below are some of the ideal ways to eliminate brown algae in your fish tank. Majority of these strategies aim to cut the supply of nutrient for brown algae, therefore preventing its future growth in your aquarium.

1. Remove the water in your tank
Remove about twenty percent of the water inside your tank with the use of aquarium siphon. Make sure that you shift the siphon through the gravel or substrate to eliminate the fish waste that can serve as food for the brown algae.
Make use of reverse osmosis or deionized water to change the water inside your fish tank. The two methods make use of water that doesn’t contribute supplements that promote the growth of algae since it has been filtered in a special way.

2. Introduce phosphate adsorption resin
These are chemical filter mediums in the form of pellets or filter pads that are used for eliminating phosphates and silicates from the aquarium that help to starve the brown algae more.

3. Mounting an ultraviolet sterilizer
You can install a UV sterilizer outside the aquarium to eliminate the brown algae. The rays produced by the sterilizer are just like normal sunlight and can’t harm fish or plant life but will kill bacteria and algae found in the water inside your aquarium.

4. Put an animal that enjoys eating algae
A couple of aquatic animal species are always excited at the presence of algae including the suckermouth fish or the Siamese algae eater fish.

For the saltwater fish tanks, you can put snails that eat algae, for example, the margarita snail. Such creatures work like vacuums and completely devour the algae off the aquarium walls, ornaments, and rocks.

5. Monitoring the nitrate level
You can keep the level of nitrate in your aquarium under control by including a few drops of vodka inside the water. The dosing of vodka should always be monitored because it can hurt the fish.

Keeping the level of nitrate low is one of the best methods of removing algae from your fish tank.

6. Physically getting rid of accumulated brown algae
Physically getting rid of the amassed brown algae from your aquarium is a standout amongst the best approaches to eliminate it.

You can evacuate the brown algae using either suction or your hand. The brown algae spread quickly if abandoned in the tank and will be difficult to eliminate.

7. Cleaning filters
Regular cleansing of the filter ensures consistent flow of neat water free from silicates and nitrates.

You should always replace the fish water to keep it completely clear and also clean your fish tank routinely. Clean the fish tank more frequently if you notice that the algae are becoming an issue.

Conclusion
The reality of the matter is that brown algae and its consistent growth can be an undeniable irritation, especially for aquarium owners. What you have to do is to ensure that your fish tank is clean always. So, you need to change the water tank frequently and evacuate all the key factors that contribute to the growth of algae. Also, prompt regard for the vertical development of brown algae will secure your aquarium from more serious problems.

Thanks. I will try a couple of these things.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back