Algae Coming in Hot

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Built2Prfctn

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys- I've had my tank for about a month now. Everything is going great but now im starting to see algae growing at a rapid rate on the glass/ drift wood and live plants. Whats the best way to control this? Right now I have 1 small pleco in there.

A little bit more about tank
60 Gallon
Live plants - Injected c02 8 hours a day
Using Plant fertilizers - (Florish & Trace)
Finnex 24/7 light on max 12 hours a day. Moonlight 8 hours a day. Dark for the rest.
Nuetral PH - Softer side water.
78 degrees

Thanks

Last edited:
What sort of algae is it?
Can you post a picture of it?

Normal green algae grows from excess light or excess nutrients. You can reduce lighting by an hour a day and see if that helps. Sometimes doing a big water change or reducing the nutrients for a week can help.

Brown algae is quite common in new tanks. It is caused by excess silicates in new water. Just keeping scraping it off during weekly tank cleanings. I use an old credit card to scrape sides gently. Unlike some algae’s, this one dies off in well lit tanks. If by a window, the daylight will help kill it. It will eventually die off as the tank ages. I set a new tank up in January and the brown algae is just now going away. You clean tank decor in tank water. Carefully rub off leaves on live plants. It’s a hastle but it does go away.

Last edited:
A photo of this algae really would help. Diatoms that Deanasue mentioned is certain one possible, but other members have sometimes mentioned "brown" algae and it turned out to be black brush/beard algae which is actually a red algae but can appear grey, very dark brown, or very dark green. Given the light/CO2 mentioned, I am thinking this may be the issue, but a photo will tell us.

A photo of this algae really would help. Diatoms that Deanasue mentioned is certain one possible, but other members have sometimes mentioned "brown" algae and it turned out to be black brush/beard algae which is actually a red algae but can appear grey, very dark brown, or very dark green. Given the light/CO2 mentioned, I am thinking this may be the issue, but a photo will tell us.

Here are some pictures

Attachments

• IMG_8943.JPG
    IMG_8943.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_8944.JPG
    IMG_8944.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_8945.JPG
    IMG_8945.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_8946.JPG
    IMG_8946.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_8947.JPG
    IMG_8947.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 177
Here are some pictures

That is looking more like diatoms. Does it easily wipe off of surfaces like plant leaves with your fingertips? If yes, diatoms.

Here are some pictures
Yep, definitely brown algae as I suspected. Caused by silicates or, diatoms if preferred. Do as I suggested above and it will eventually go away. It’s just a plague that sometimes comes with new tanks. Good luck!

Yep, definitely brown algae as I suspected. Caused by silicates or, diatoms if preferred. Do as I suggested above and it will eventually go away. It’s just a plague that sometimes comes with new tanks. Good luck!

Previously you mentioned more light. I been keeping it down more since of the algae. Should I jack the lights up again?

Previously you mentioned more light. I been keeping it down more since of the algae. Should I jack the lights up again?

No. If this is diatoms (you did not answer my question, does it come off easily with your fingertips?) this is common in many new tanks (a month old here). It takes time for the biological system in an aquarium to stabilize, and algae is well able to take advantage of any imbalances during this period. Messing with light is only going to make things worse.

Lighting isn’t really a key component here but some articles do suggest you leave your lights on for at least 8 hours with brown algae. I have kicked mine up a little to reduce my brown algae. Almost gone now. The biggest thing that you want to control is your nitrates. Brown algae loves them!

Last edited:
Not in the case of brown algae. It actually prefers low light. A UV sterilizer would be your best option and it works much like sunlight. Bottom line though is that the best way to get rid of brown algae is by scraping and removing it by hand. Good news is that it will go away when silicates disappear and nitrates are under control.

Last edited:
I thought more light more algae

You have live plants and the light must be sufficient intensity for the plants. The plants will use the light and nutrients, and algae will be disadvantaged. But if the light/nutrient balance is not geared to the plants, algae will take advantage.

"Algae" here means generally. Diatoms are different; in new tanks they can appear regardless of light or nutrients. So don't fuss with lighting for diatoms. It is the plants that have to be catered to here.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back