Algae bloom

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Sampagne

Reaction score
So Iā€™ve had my tank for approximately about six weeks and my tank has had a bloom, when I first had tank I was given a quick start vial that was to treat 1000 litres of water, and mine is 420 litres, so itā€™s definitely had an impact

My water conditions are perfect but some of the problems we currently have are:

-green sand patches
- my wood has got the usual bio film but like extra, With green patches also over it
- some of my plants have also either dirty looking or brown.

What can I do to help this now, Iā€™m doing two water changes weekly also.

Regards

What do you have for lighting on the tank? Specific link would help, if not, at least wattage. Do you use any fertilizers? Root tabs? CO2? What are the actual readings from your water test, especially ammonia, and do you have fish in there yet?

Can you post pictures? Green patches on the sand could be cyanobacteria.

My guess is that your lighting is too bright and/or on for too long. How many plants do you have?

Not sure of wattage of lighting but I could get that information surely be stamped on the light, donā€™t use any ferts or tablets, and the water test my ammonia is yellow which is good, how long would you suggest the light to be on for daily?

I have fish in the tank already... I was thinking of taking my wood out and some of the sand to give it a good hosing down.

Not sure of wattage of lighting but I could get that information surely be stamped on the light, donā€™t use any ferts or tablets, and the water test my ammonia is yellow which is good, how long would you suggest the light to be on for daily?

I have fish in the tank already... I was thinking of taking my wood out and some of the sand to give it a good hosing down.
No longer than 10 hours really. Brightness depends on type of plants and how many. Do you have a pic of your setup you can share?

No longer than 10 hours really. Brightness depends on type of plants and how many. Do you have a pic of your setup you can share?

I do Iā€™ll post one in morning now because all lights are out and youā€™ll be able see the set up better then.

This is the current state of my tank, water changed last night.

Any help guys??

Attachments

• 62F60CA4-908A-4CA9-BA9B-A627E91BD826.jpeg
    62F60CA4-908A-4CA9-BA9B-A627E91BD826.jpeg
    417.7 KB · Views: 88
  • F21847DA-E055-48CB-8482-4667E71C0678.jpeg
    F21847DA-E055-48CB-8482-4667E71C0678.jpeg
    303.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 6121CF86-F039-4745-A018-324B6632F346.jpeg
    6121CF86-F039-4745-A018-324B6632F346.jpeg
    301.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 9B1FACFA-EE33-45E7-AE12-CF0807B33BE4.jpeg
    9B1FACFA-EE33-45E7-AE12-CF0807B33BE4.jpeg
    295.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 82AD7154-65E0-4797-A648-67B495357D40.jpeg
    82AD7154-65E0-4797-A648-67B495357D40.jpeg
    356.8 KB · Views: 71
I think that looks like cyanobacteria, @seangee will likely confirm. Where's that piece of wood from? Does it still have the bark on?

Iā€™m
I think that looks like cyanobacteria, @seangee will likely confirm. Where's that piece of wood from? Does it still have the bark on?

It was purchased from a fish shop and before adding to tank had it in soak for over 7 weeks, the bark is on the wood yes.

Yes that is cyanobacteria. I am dealing with this in a new tank myself. It is important to get rid of the cause or you will never be free of it.

I am following Colin's advice which I have quoted below. So far it is working well although I am not yet completely clear of it.

Blue green algae (Cyanobacter bacteria) grows from excess nutrients, lots of red light, and low oxygen levels. The easiest way to deal with it is by doing big daily water changes and gravel cleaning the substrate. Try to remove as much of the Cyanobacteria as possible.

Reduce the amount of food you put in the tank, especially dry foods. Use live or frozen foods instead.

If you have fluorescent globes that are more than 12 months old, replace them and the fluoro starters. Get globes with a 6500K (K is for Kelvin) rating.

Increase aeration and water movement in the tank, especially around the bottom.

-------------------
Don't use anti-biotics to treat Cyanobacteria.

Yes that is cyanobacteria. I am dealing with this in a new tank myself. It is important to get rid of the cause or you will never be free of it.

I am following Colin's advice which I have quoted below. So far it is working well although I am not yet completely clear of it.

I will start not having my light on as much, and Iā€™ve hosed down my
Wood out of my tank now also, I also have sand not gravel and am struggling to get that cleaned even with a siphon

Use the airline tube on its own to create a concentrated suction, it will lift some sand but will enable be you to remove the algae from the tank.

I have sand too. Initially I was vacuuming it but there is very little now so I an using tweezers whenever I see any. If you go slowly the BGA comes off in sheets and stays clumped together.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back