Algae Bloom Problem

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

akared

Reaction score
Hi Ya'll,

Yep, I'm a newbie. We bought my son a tank for his room for last Christmas. It's a 12 gal Eclipse. Started it up in Feb and learned all about new tank syndrome. Yes, I'm the one doing all the care for the tank.

Everything began going pretty smooth by April...then this summer, the water started getting cloudy and then green. And I can't seem to get it under control.

The tank is not by any window, or heater, but I'm in Alaska and the summer months are light all night. So there is light that comes in the room, but not direct light, as I have a huge Lilac in front of most of the window.

Nitrate at 20, ppm?
Nitrite at 0
Ammonia at .20
Alkalinity at 80
pH at 6.9
Water temp at 73-74

I have...
1 Yellow Gauromi
3 Rummie nose
4 cherry barbs

I was told that I may be feeding the fish too much. When I started off I was told twice a day, what they can eat in 10 min. I've cut back since this algae bloom to just a pinch, what they can eat in 3 min, twice a day.

I cut down time with the light on to about 5 hours a day.

I vacuum once a month with a 2 gal water change. I also change out 1 gal per week.

But with this algae bloom, I've changed it a bit to try and get it under control. The fish store told me to use No More Algae by Jungle Labs. I've used it three times so far and followed the directions Jungle Lab and the fish store gave me.

Cleaned all the algae off everything. Changed out 2 gallons of water. Took out Carbon filter. Added 1 tsp plus 2-3 drops. Waited 7 days and added back in the Carbon filter. I was told I could repeat if needed. Well it's been needed.

The water seems to get a lil better, and then back to really green water. Today it seemed really green. So today I did a 3 gal water change, the tank was up for it's monthly vacuum and added the No More Algae.

Any ideas....I'm REALLY frustrated!!!

Am I still feeding too much?

I've gotten really attached to these fish and would love for them to have a nice clear tank without all the cloudy green water.

Any ideas are really appreciated! :)

Thanks,
akared

Try vacuming and changing 50% of the water once every week. You could also try light starvation, which is draping the tank so that absolutely no light gets in for about 4 days. This will kill most algae.

I suspect that it could be an excess of nutrients that has built up over time combined with constant light that is causing this algae to thrive. By changing only 10% of the water, (1g/week for a 10g) every week, you could easily end up with 10x the amount of nutrients that you put in from food and such. If you changed half of the water, .5, every week you only end up with 2x the amount of nutrients in the water. (try it, multiply 1 by .5 (5g/week) then add one and multiply by .5 a bunch of times and the asymptote is around 2 whereas if you multiply by .9 (1g/week) the asymptote is much higher... i learned this from a dosing schedule or something and I might have mutilated the equation but you'll get the idea.)

alot of small water change should be made during this period of time usually once every 2-3 days of 25% is nice. And should not overfeed as well. More waste food = more nitrate which = more algae :(.

So changing out 50% of the water once a week, will not harm the benefical bacteri? Or are you saying there is too much of that anyway.

And thank so much for responding!!

I'm hooked on this fish stuff. No matter the frustraions I really love those lil buggers. I would like my own tank and bigger, but would like to make sure I learn more before investing in a 45 gal .

IMCL85 said:
alot of small water change should be made during this period of time usually once every 2-3 days of 25% is nice. And should not overfeed as well. More waste food = more nitrate which = more algae :(.
[snapback]883652[/snapback]​

So would you just nix the No More Algae stuff and just focus on the water changes?

I think the problem has been overfeeding, and yes, the light in the summer here in Alaska.

What advice would you give on feeding?

Thanks bunches,
akared

hello...take a read of this pinned subject on algea http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=88353
it just might help you out ....I had a similar problem and I used
reverse osmosis water and cleared up alogea in 3 days, 25% water
changes everyday until gone...I dont think I would use chemical aid tho
as it could possibly cause other problems....do read that pinned subject
hope this helps you :nod:

Well just give the fish enought food daily. Fish dont need as much energy as other land animal. I feed them like once every two day with food that they finish with in arround a minutes or so, do not feed them more food that they could takes(I add small amount of food at a time so none would drop to the bottom of the tank unless its the food for cory). The cause of algae is high nitrate and expo ur tank under strong sunlight. The first step to take is remove ur tank from direct sunlight that if its possible. Reason why I save alot of small water change is to take out nitrate, and you probably have green water. Another method probably is put ur tank in complete darkness for a few days.

You've all been really helpful and I really appreciate it!!

One more question if I may....

Is reverse osmosis water bottled drinking water? Or distilled? Or both?

not sure on your question .....distilled water is water that is evaporated which leaves most chemicals out of it ( I read some where that florides are still in the water )
reverse osmosis water is what they call pure h2o (suppose to have nothing in it no chemicals, no bacteria ) if you can find a store that bottles water more then likely it is
rev osmosis just ask attendent....distilled water is still better than treated tap water...
with either just do a 25% water change every 24 to 48 hrs only feed your fish once a day what they can eat in 5 mins. vacum tank get the junk out of substrate.

Wiggler 1 said:
not sure on your question .....distilled water is water that is evaporated which leaves most chemicals out of it ( I read some where that florides are still in the water )
reverse osmosis water is what they call pure h2o (suppose to have nothing in it no chemicals, no bacteria ) if you can find a store that bottles water more then likely it is
rev osmosis just ask attendent....distilled water is still better than treated tap water...
with either just do a 25% water change every 24 to 48 hrs only feed your fish once a day what they can eat in 5 mins. vacum tank get the junk out of substrate.
[snapback]883685[/snapback]​

When I started the tank, I started it with bottled water by the jug. The alkalinity was low and I was told to change to tap water, use AmQuel, and add salts? Shortly after is when the water turned cloudy and green. I do know now I was feeding too much, but was not sure that part of the problem was the tap water etc.

Do you use salts? Or is it unnecessary?

I'll start on those water changes tomorrow, as I changed out 3 gal today in a 12 gallon tank.

Thanks also for the article link...it was really interesting!!

no I dont use salts ... I reread your first thread and did see that you have light all day
since your in Alaska (wish I was there) even if it aint direct sunlight it still is light,
this light is getting to your water on each side of the tank that is open to it...I would
keep up with your water changes (each time clean substrate) also try covering your tank completely so no light gets in it and keep a eye on your water see if this helps it (it should ) if the tank starts to clear up , just keep doing it until completely clear ....you might find another kind of algea grow (I think it is called brown algea ,this is because
of lack of light , thats OK as when your green disappers you can reintrduce light to your tank and that will kill off brown algea...I would think that if this works you might have to cover your tank most of the day until your moon time comes back...if you have live plants keep a eye on them so you dont kill them off, hope this helps you out :)

Thanks so much for all your help Wiggler1 !!! And everyone else that's been very helpful !!!

We are starting to get some night here and it won't be long before it's even with the day on the Equinox. We live in a rural area. Even so, this weekend we go to the cabin on the Lake and pull out the telescope for some good viewing. :D I'll see if I can post a picture here for you of the Lake. Lake Kenai. We've got enough night now, to get some good telescope time in before the colder season sets in. It is very beautiful in Alaska.

When you mentioned in your last post to (each time clean substrate) do you mean vacuuming? Just making sure...lol

I've taken your advise to heart....have some bottled water ready and am just about to change it out. And I'll take care of that light issue too.

Thanks again, you've been a real help!!!

Kenai Lake
KenaiLake.jpg

oh my what a picture....love to see some nite skies too, Yes I mean vacum the tank if you are doing 3 gal change clean as best you can a little of the tank next time you clean do a little more of the tank so on so on ,this is how I do it and have no problems
you might as well suck out some junk well you do your water changes. Good luck and stay warm when the cold hits :alien:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back