Algae and spotty java fern

I've had my Java fern fall apart as it grew into clumps. I think my mounting pieces of wood are too small a diameter. So I just take those pieces and start the process over..enabling the fern to fill larger areas.

Just by wild coincidence,I saw this minutes ago. He says black spots are a lack of Co2. He gets to that around the 9 minute mark.

Last edited:
He says black spots are a lack of Co2.

Highly unlikely. This is a very slow grower, and in a tank with fish it is almost impossible to have a CO2 shortage that would cause this plant to die off as shown in the photos.

Highly unlikely. This is a very slow grower, and in a tank with fish it is almost impossible to have a CO2 shortage that would cause this plant to die off as shown in the photos.
The problem, as with many YouTubing 'aquarists', is that the video looks good. ;)
Trying to filter out the dross is' 'challenging'.

The spores seem to be 'leaving' bigger the leaves! I'm not sure if this is because snails are eating it or not. No worries I will just observe it

I have read some of this but not all of it, my five cents worth. Java fern doesn't like to be fussed over, it doesn't like intense light, but it still needs around ten hours of light per day. it does best when you have lots of floating plants reducing the light intensity. It doesn't need ferts., and it hates being moved.

I have read some of this but not all of it, my five cents worth. Java fern doesn't like to be fussed over, it doesn't like intense light, but it still needs around ten hours of light per day. it does best when you have lots of floating plants reducing the light intensity. It doesn't need ferts., and it hates being moved.
Im sure I've got the basics now. I'm going to enjoy my fish

Just by wild coincidence,I saw this minutes ago. He says black spots are a lack of Co2. He gets to that around the 9 minute mark.
I did an experiment some time ago. I put a java fern in a glass jar and sealed the air tight lid to see what effect it would have on the plant. Plant growth just stopped. No place spots. Months later the plant then started to die and only then did black spots appeared.

Black, white and yellow spots often happen when there is nutrient deficiency. Oher than CO2 plants need 14 other nutreints to grow. Historically people tend to blame any problem they see on their plants to CO2 or lighting first. Seldom do they think of the other 14 nutrients plants need. In fact many poeple think plants only need CO2 light and water. And yet hsisrotically when the problem has been identified it is not from lack of CO2.

I didn't endorse his theory! I know that Potassium is loved by Java fern..it for me has made fern leaves that were almost part white and of course the pale green..get the color back with Potassium glutamate. I buy it at the local supermarket or Walgreens. A tablet per 50 gallons once a week seems to work. Others with different water,fishloads,plants, might have to adjust.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back