Ajuga plant in aquarium

WhistlingBadger

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Pretty! Looks like it's a terrestrial plant, which means it won't do well long-term under water. In your pond, does it grow with the roots under water and the leaves above? If so, I would either plant it the same way in your aquarium, or leave it out.

essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
We used to grow ajuga in flower beds, so yes it's a terrestrial plant.

OP
leryasa

leryasa

Reaction score
We used to grow ajuga in flower beds, so yes it's a terrestrial plant.
It seems like it will grow anywhere, I’ve got it growing on my sidewalk not even in dirt so, I thought I’d see what happens. Just wanted to makecsure it wasn’t toxic to fish.

OP
leryasa

leryasa

Reaction score
Pretty! Looks like it's a terrestrial plant, which means it won't do well long-term under water. In your pond, does it grow with the roots under water and the leaves above? If so, I would either plant it the same way in your aquarium, or leave it out.
that’s an idea, use it as a floating plant and see what happens. It’s just growing like mad in my courtyard, seems like nothing damages it, the plants around my pond are growing over the edge not even in dirt just attached to it’s connecting plant. It’s such a pretty color. I’ll definitely watch it and give updates.

WhistlingBadger

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if you could make some sort of floating island for them. Maybe a cork ring, with fine plastic mesh across the bottom, filled with sand and the plants inside? Then the plants could grow into the air and the roots could eventually trail down into the water.

I've never actually tried something like that, but I think it could possibly work. Pond companies make similar gadgets for growing flowers and garden plants on floating islands.

trending

Most reactions - Past 7 days