Ajuga plant in aquarium

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

leryasa

Reaction score
I wanted to know if Ajuga plants are OK for my aqurium. It’s very hardy and I have it growing around my outdoor pond. I’m just now getting my aquarium set up. No fish yet.

Attachments

• 181F17D5-AA31-43EC-84B0-9C9F19F71349.jpeg
    181F17D5-AA31-43EC-84B0-9C9F19F71349.jpeg
    270.6 KB · Views: 67
Pretty! Looks like it's a terrestrial plant, which means it won't do well long-term under water. In your pond, does it grow with the roots under water and the leaves above? If so, I would either plant it the same way in your aquarium, or leave it out.

We used to grow ajuga in flower beds, so yes it's a terrestrial plant.

We used to grow ajuga in flower beds, so yes it's a terrestrial plant.
It seems like it will grow anywhere, I’ve got it growing on my sidewalk not even in dirt so, I thought I’d see what happens. Just wanted to makecsure it wasn’t toxic to fish.

Keep an eye on it and when it starts to die (it almost certainly will), remove it before it rots. In the mean time, I guess it won't hurt anything.

Pretty! Looks like it's a terrestrial plant, which means it won't do well long-term under water. In your pond, does it grow with the roots under water and the leaves above? If so, I would either plant it the same way in your aquarium, or leave it out.
that’s an idea, use it as a floating plant and see what happens. It’s just growing like mad in my courtyard, seems like nothing damages it, the plants around my pond are growing over the edge not even in dirt just attached to it’s connecting plant. It’s such a pretty color. I’ll definitely watch it and give updates.

I wonder if you could make some sort of floating island for them. Maybe a cork ring, with fine plastic mesh across the bottom, filled with sand and the plants inside? Then the plants could grow into the air and the roots could eventually trail down into the water.

I've never actually tried something like that, but I think it could possibly work. Pond companies make similar gadgets for growing flowers and garden plants on floating islands.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back