Airstone

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

madgap

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I want my tank to be nicely planted but I don't think I'm on a winner.
See, I've an air stone in my rio 300. Its about 3 inches long. I keep reading that for a planted tank it's best not to move the surface of the water too much.
Personally I'm not too fussed on the air stone but my wife loves it.
Am I going to have a healthier planted tank if I switch off my pump?

Si

Your plants would grow faster and probably be much healither... But! kepp the air if your gonna throw some fish in there. unless its a betta of course. Im off to soccer tryouts my friends. goodnight!

I want my tank to be nicely planted but I don't think I'm on a winner.
See, I've an air stone in my rio 300. Its about 3 inches long. I keep reading that for a planted tank it's best not to move the surface of the water too much.
Personally I'm not too fussed on the air stone but my wife loves it.
Am I going to have a healthier planted tank if I switch off my pump?

Si

If your adding CO2 then extra surface movement means you will lose a fair chunk of the CO2 in the water. You can just up the CO2 dosing to compensate though (if there is a LOT of surface movement this might mean having to use a lot of CO2).

If your not adding CO2 then more surface movement is actually a good thing so dont worry about it.

You can put one of those food rings above it to catch the bubbles. That will stop most of water surface movement from the bubbles. You just have to make sure you get one that is big enough.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back