Air Stone Or Not?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

stoneagedinosaur

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Started playing with the idea of an air stone. Partly because I like the bubbles :lol: and partly because it might get a bit more water movement. Have you got one - or not - why?

Are they noisy?

I dislike them. Noisey to me and I also inject CO2, so that means fear the air stone. I do run one in with my garras, because they like the extra oxygen. However that one hangs from its cord and has tape around the pump to make it quiet otherwise I wouldn't be using it. I also run it only during the day.

I had one as I too like the bubbles! But the pump was a little too noisy for me so I have removed it for now!

I've got one on order, purely because I like rising bubbles in tanks.
I don't need the extra oxygen, I just like them!

James :)

I just got a air pump that is connected to a shipwreck ornament, as when i get the same ornament for my nephew Birthday my daughter wanted one, so got a pump to connect to shipwreck and she loves it, we don't have it on all the time just for the hour and the fish love playing with the bubbles :)

I run air pumps on most of my tanks as my Plecs love sitting in the stream of bubbles.
I use the Rena air pumps, never had a problem with them being noisy.

I've got an air curtain at the back of my tank, the fish really enjoy it, but I tend to go with the dleeder pipe rather than stone.

I have air stones in all of my tanks. It helps keep some water movement which I like. In my 29 gallon I have two air stones. One along the back and one sitting sideways-besides giving a good aesthetic my puffers love to swim down to the bottom and let the bubbles carry them up to the top and then do it again.

My 55 gallon also has two air stones. I have a 15 inch airstone along the back of my tank and a round airstone near the middle. My scats love to dart in and out of the bubbles. I have a Terta air pump on my 55 gal running both airstones on my 55 gal.. its quiet as can be.

I have a maxima air pump on my 29 gal. Its getting old and can be a smidge noisy. But overall I enjoy the effect^^

I have a 6" airstone in the back of the tank and it really just makes the tank seem so much more real and better to enjoy. It helps create water movement and my fish such as my corys love to swim through it. The only problem I could really see is the tubing which may look a little weird inside an aquarium but hopefully you have some plants or rocks to cover that up. If noise is a problem there are plenty of air pumps that are silent and unnoticable, just make sure the pump isn't leaning against the wall or anything else cuz thats when it creates noise.

Overall air stones are cheap, reliable, look great and every aquarist should have some =) good luck

Hi stoneagedinosaur :)

I use a lot of airstones but not for decoration. I raise corydoras and use them to circulate the water over the eggs to keep them from getting fungus.

Give one a try if you like. Even if you decide not to keep it going, an air pump is a handy thing to have on hand. If you need to set up a quarantine tank or a fry tank, you can use it to power a sponge or box filter.

its entirely up to you.. if you like the bubbles then have one.. the stones themselves are not noisy, its the pumps they run off.. but that can be sorted
good.gif

Do you want it to be silent or just quiet? The Hydor Airios are quiet. I took mine out of my tank though coz it's in my room and it was slightly too much (plus I didn't really like it in the end).

Cool - thanks for that.

I was wondering if they would improve CO[sup]2[/sup] circulation or would have a detrimental effect on CO[sup]2[/sup] levels altogether?

and Twinklecaz - silent would be best. It's taken a few months to get the tank just about silent and I don't want to get more mechanical noise going!

If you need to set up a quarantine tank or a fry tank, you can use it to power a sponge or box filter.

I have been toying with starting up a little quarantine tank and that may be the excuse that i need :hey: and a good excuse for the Mrs...

what happne to filter media in a hospital tank? I'm sure there's a thread somewhere on it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back