Air Pumps.....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jo1980

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to all of this - i am currently doing a cycle with fish (has been going a week now), I have 2 Red Platies in the Tank (one male constantly trying to... well you know the female... :*) ) and a Sword Tail plant (i think thats what its called).

Anyway, should I leave the air pump going 24hrs a day for the fish, or does it not matter? At the moment I have been turning it off when I turn the light off (every night) and it seems to be ok.... they perk up in the morning when everything gets turned back on.... I suppose be cause i'm new I constantly think they will be dead when I wake up, or when I get home from work....

Jo. xx

Leave the air pump on all the time - especialy during the night when the amazon sword (I think that's what your plant's called) also needs oxygen.

if you have a regular filter that creates surface movement, the air pump is totally unnecessary. People keep them just because they like the look of air bubbles in the tank!

Yep, my filter creates surface movement. Excellent, the bubbles will stay for aesthetic puposes then. The transformer looking bit gets really hot, so I was paranoid it could start a fire or something - also makes quite a bit of noise when you are trying to get to sleep with the vibrating.

Thanks guys.

Hope the New Year has been pleasant to you so far.

Jo.

Can I just point out that the bubbles do increase the amount of oxygen further so if you are going to switch it on and off the fish may not appreciate it and your pH may start fluctuating as high levels of oxygen increase pH. Such fluctuations would not be good for your fish. Obviously that's only if the airstone causes lots of 'turbulance' at the surface compared to the filter alone but I don't know how strong it is so I couldn't say.

Yeah it does cause alot of 'turbulance'.... hmmm, maybe I will leave it running for awhile and see how hot it gets, if i don't trust it I shall switch it off for good.

Thanks for the advice, Love the site btw - much bette than the Aussie ones I could find...

Jo.

I bought a reno50 air pump and it is silent. I can hear the bubbles but not the pump!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back